Michigan

I have literally put in over a 100 hours into Eagle this past month and want to do more than just one board printing per month!

This is a 512Kbyte cartridge but could support up to 1MegaByte if I can find a decently available ROM chip. Also, OSHPArk needs to offer more board thickness options. I can't have them print this because they only do 1.6mm boards and I need a 1mm board.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Jul 5, 2016 10:23 pm)

Washington, PA

Just curious, can Sega Master System ROMs be played on a Game Gear? Not that it would matter, since there's not music software for SMS either, but just curious since I seem to remember SMS emulators also being able to run Game Gear ROMs.

Madriz, Supain

I agree. Ive been thinking about playing non nintendo handheld music lately.

I can only imagine a world in wich I can play with my neogeo pocket...

Michigan
jmc1987 wrote:

Just curious, can Sega Master System ROMs be played on a Game Gear? Not that it would matter, since there's not music software for SMS either, but just curious since I seem to remember SMS emulators also being able to run Game Gear ROMs.

I believe they can, by cutting the jumper between pin 42 and ground. I have placed this jumper on my own cart, but it is hard to see because of the tSTOP layer over it. This jumper is the larger white circle at the bottom right.

SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Find someone to write the software, and I will make the flash cart. Done deal.

Could music be written using only the PSG channels in VGM Music Maker or Deflemask, and then that VGM played back on the gamegear perhaps? Not as funky as LSDJ of course but an option for those interested.

Michigan
metropeak wrote:

Could music be written using only the PSG channels in VGM Music Maker or Deflemask, and then that VGM played back on the gamegear perhaps? Not as funky as LSDJ of course but an option for those interested.

I don't know how Deflemask for example exports VGM files, but I did read something about an export option...if you can run it in an emulator, you know it can run on the GG itself.

Madriz, Supain
Jazzmarazz wrote:
jmc1987 wrote:

I believe they can, by cutting the jumper between pin 42 and ground. I have placed this jumper on my own cart, but it is hard to see because of the tSTOP layer over it. This jumper is the larger white circle at the bottom right.

You can make the flash cart anyways because Ill buy it in a heartbeat

Michigan
Jazzmarazz wrote:

NeoGeo or GG? I would need a NeoGeo Cart to measure with my calipers so that I could make library files.
No cart would be damaged if you were to ...um...send me one. wink

UK, Leicester
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Also, OSHPArk needs to offer more board thickness options. I can't have them print this because they only do 1.6mm boards and I need a 1mm board.

I don't own a gamegear, but couldn't you use the thicker board, instead of putting it in a case? Kinda like the latest versions of nanoloop.

Sweeeeeeden

There's always little-scale's SMSM, which will work for GG as well.

http://little-scale.blogspot.com.au/201 … -midi.html
http://little-scale.blogspot.com.au/201 … -gear.html

An idea: I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to make a GG cartridge with a GB cartridge slot, to act as an adapter. The physical interface and general memory map is about the same, which means the CPU should be able to access the memory just fine. What is different is the memory mapping, which means that commercial ROMs bigger than 32 kB will not work using this method. But this might be a convenient way to kickstart the Game Gear software scene.

Madriz, Supain
Jazzmarazz wrote:

NeoGeo or GG? I would need a NeoGeo Cart to measure with my calipers so that I could make library files.

Neo geo pocket. It has been made by other people in the past in retrogaming forums and the such, for astronomical prices.

Michigan
Alpine wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Also, OSHPArk needs to offer more board thickness options. I can't have them print this because they only do 1.6mm boards and I need a 1mm board.

I don't own a gamegear, but couldn't you use the thicker board, instead of putting it in a case? Kinda like the latest versions of nanoloop.

Surely, but I despise the idea. Too many chances of shorts and too much environmental exposure IMO. While Im at it, I ought to redesign the GameGear altogether! What a peice of crap that was...but what incredible potential and what an innovative design considering the time!

Michigan
nitro2k01 wrote:

There's always little-scale's SMSM, which will work for GG as well.

http://little-scale.blogspot.com.au/201 … -midi.html
http://little-scale.blogspot.com.au/201 … -gear.html

An idea: I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to make a GG cartridge with a GB cartridge slot, to act as an adapter. The physical interface and general memory map is about the same, which means the CPU should be able to access the memory just fine. What is different is the memory mapping, which means that commercial ROMs bigger than 32 kB will not work using this method. But this might be a convenient way to kickstart the Game Gear software scene.

Ha! I love it. Don't think I will look into right now, but it surely could be done.
As for SMSM, I forgot where to find it, so I thought I made it up. derp...
He says that it requires the third party adapter, but as I stated above, there is a jumper on the cart edge which determines GG or SMS (or so I have read). Gerry O'Brian knows everything, so I hit up his web site again.

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Neo geo pocket. It has been made by other people in the past in retrogaming forums and the such, for astronomical prices.

I know, and its bollox. I am not interested in making SD-carts or other multi-rom-usb-compat devices. What I can do is the simple, 1-ROM per cart flash cartridge. This substantially drops the price due to the simplicity. I still have to figure out the !CE and !OE pins of the ROM chip, but then the cart will be complete and ready for production.

Sweeeeeeden
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Surely, but I despise the idea. Too many chances of shorts and too much environmental exposure IMO. While Im at it, I ought to redesign the GameGear altogether! What a peice of crap that was...but what incredible potential and what an innovative design considering the time!

About that... Pin 1 +34V, the LCD drive voltage, which for some reason they saw fit to route out to the cartridge. Inserting the cartridge at an angle (especially a risk with a board only solution like NL) you might short it over to one of the adjacent pins with some bad luck. Even for a regular PCB, I'd probably not even put copper on pin 1, just simply leave it out, to reduce the risk for accidents as much as possible.

Michigan

Lol, good idea. You can hear me complaining about cartridges not having enough pin connections all the time (such as the atari not having /WE), but pin 1 is just....more than unnecessary...

seattle

writing on a game gear could be super awesome.

using little-scale's SMSM system, could you control the game gear with a gameboy-lsdj-arduinoboy?