Sweeeeeeden
TSC wrote:

Sometimes I'll come here to kill a few minutes/read a few insightful posts. I then realize quite a few of these discussions are embarrassing, referential throwbacks to a certain other defunct message board I never cared about. Noticing I'm not logged in, I stay logged the fuck out.

hmm

Chicago IL

I stay logged out as an extra barrier between me being a dick and whatever's going on.

South Dakota

I visit many times a day, and don't even make music.
Not really anyway...

Poland, Kraków

Ok, so you motivated me to make an account here with this topic that i read for some boring Saturday.
I visit this site quite frequently, but only for some new music smile
Yeah, hello then!

Germany
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

...this is a personal invitation for you to make accounts, dont be strangers.

Ok then, you got me. I feel guilty now.
Here´s me, hi.

+1 member by this thread

To tell why I haven´t registered before,
I am not one of those persons asking for stuff you can find easily in the web.
And almost all my questions regarding chipping someone asked and got answered in here or someone referred to corresponding pages.
I may not be very helpful for this site but if I do you a favor with registering, I´m in.

It was and is nice to follow the work of people like nitro2k01 and trash80.
And yeah, I should have given some respect to you guys. I feel guilty again.
Your (nitro2k01), what was it, "one rom per week" campaign was great, I spend nights reading and it´ll take years understanding.
I really enjoy making lovely little tunes in LSDJ and let them play in circle on my hyperboy but I guess there´s no need for uploading them. I´m too far away from these wizzards with their evil power in here(, yet??!?!).
I have my flash cartridge for about a year and not modded anything yet.
But I have all parts for doing the front light mod on my CGB. I wanna put it in the right way but I´m afraid to cut the plastic lense, it might get broken. A membrane of the buttons got destroyed by too much presseure while cleaning it, so I lost interest cause I had no spare one. Yesterday I ordered a stock pink gameBoy colour so I might get to business and come with enoying questions

Yeah, that was my 2 cents.

btw (totally off topic): is my feeling wrong or are much of the chippers in here scandinavian? I miss satanic surfers

Last edited by fffrobsm (Sep 22, 2013 12:18 am)

Grinnell, IA

I was a reader of the CM.o forums for years before I actually signed up for an account. Even now that I do have one I generally just read the forums rather than post anything, and half the time I don't bother to log in, anyways.

I'm usually more of a chipmusic listener and enthusiast than I am an actual dabbler in the medium, and I've always gotten this (perhaps grossly erroneous?) impression from these forums that this is more of a place for chipmusicians alone to write and participate in, and that listeners have little to no grounds for posting here if they do not actively participate in making chipmusic themselves.

I don't know if I would necessarily say that it's because of perceived vibes of elitism/some "need for authenticity" here that forms that disconnect—but when such big names in the scene post here on a regular basis, I'd at least imagine that it's a bit intimidating for other "outsiders" such as myself to participate.

vancouver, canada

haha thread turned out better than expected,  welcome, everyone!

if you ask me, i don't think it's a big deal whether or not you write music of your own.  i think as long as you are passionate about new and good music, and have reasonably good taste, and have something interesting to contribute to discussions (even if it's just about your experience listening to chip music and not creating it), there's no reason you wouldn't be welcome.

and who knows, hopefully the outcome involves you guys dabbling a little more and writing some music, which is always a good thing.  i for one started interacting in the community as a chip enthusiast before i started writing chip for real - as have many others.

NC in the US of America

Don't worry chipscene needs more listeners I don't think anybody would be elitist towards a listener listeners are awesome welcome.

bryface wrote:

maybe the entire chip scene isn't real

TSSBAY01

hey guys, glad to see a few heads signed up and made accounts, dont feel shy in jumping into conversation as weird as it can be here. it is an exciting time for chipmusic right now to be sure. you guys who might feel like you may not have as much to offer because you dont write music, or even write it and dont share it yet are just as important as any user here, because as musicians, we do depend on you to help keep all of this music alive.

i have always treasured the personal connection in sharing any music i come across with people as much as the performance itself or making the tunes themselves and have tried to have a 'one fan at a time' approach to what i do that i feel that over the years has been more enriching for me, it really does show me that the world doesnt have to be as big and scary as people might think and ive made a lot of fateful friendships with people from all over as a result of that philosophy.

i started making chipmusic and vgm and whatever you call what i do a long time ago now, nearly half my life ago and im one of the older guys kicking around. i would hope that when all is said and done that i have made a good few people happy with it. but a big part of that happiness i try and share and the philosophy is being lucky enough to meet and interact with so many great people over the years. another big payoff is inspiring someone else, anyone else to do something cool along the way too. so its great to see that some guys took it to heart and came into the community, even if its a thread that is sort of a call and response fashion to try and show in a weird way that you as listeners, readers, fans are valued.

Abandoned on Fire
Stugard wrote:

...listeners have little to no grounds for posting here if they do not actively participate in making chipmusic themselves.

I don't know if I would necessarily say that it's because of perceived vibes of elitism/some "need for authenticity" here that forms that disconnect—but when such big names in the scene post here on a regular basis, I'd at least imagine that it's a bit intimidating for other "outsiders" such as myself to participate.

I totally understand those feelings.  There has been a small but vocal set of members here and other forums that express exactly that attitude and it's really unfortunate.  Maybe it's a throwback or leftover from some earlier form of the chip/demo scene where it was all about "what have you done for me lately?" but now we're far away from being a tiny hacker scene or demogroup.  Reaching and communicating with lofi music and art fans needs to be a bigger part of this community.

Chipmusic goal for 2014: increase the fan/artist ratio to at least 4/1

Last edited by egr (Sep 22, 2013 12:44 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

So we're saying, lurk less.

sweden
fffrobsm wrote:

btw (totally off topic): is my feeling wrong or are much of the chippers in here scandinavian? I miss satanic surfers

I would guess that the majority of the members are from merka', there's probably less than ten active Scandinavians on this forum hmm

satanic surfers heart

all of the chippers who matter are scandinavian though

matt's mind

MULTIPLICITY OF DIFFERENCES

booyah

egr wrote:
Stugard wrote:

...listeners have little to no grounds for posting here if they do not actively participate in making chipmusic themselves.

I totally understand those feelings.  There has been a small but vocal set of members here and other forums that express exactly that attitude and it's really unfortunate.  Maybe it's a throwback or leftover from some earlier form of the chip/demo scene where it was all about "what have you done for me lately?" but now we're far away from being a tiny hacker scene or demogroup.  Reaching and communicating with lofi music and art fans needs to be a bigger part of this community.

Chipmusic goal for 2014: increase the fan/artist ratio to at least 4/1

its already way more than 4/1 in real life

just not on this website for a few reasons
1) people dont sign up to forums to  talk about things they dont participate in. im not on metalforums or idmcollective.net or whatever because im not involved with those genres even if i like them
2) most of the threads on this website are about modifying gameboys or meta threads about other threads on the website

i dont think thats really abnormal or anything. this isnt a chip"musicians" forum because weve actively made it so, we are just the only people who want to spend hours talking about chip music on a dedicated website

Germany
sandneil wrote:

all of the chippers who matter are scandinavian though

that´s maybe where my feeling came from ;-)
But frankly I don´t really know where they all come from.
I was digging 8bitcollective for artists, then.
Had other things to do and suddenly there were these much talked about problems and the site was gone.
Too bad. Then I found you people here. Which in the end is a great substitute you created.
Thanks for that.