Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:35 am)

Michigan

And there is no chance to trim the connector? I wasn't sure if the blocking mechanism was on the connector or on the DS shell.

Michigan

The baords are a success! I am dumping roms and backing up saves like a boss!
Gonna finish my tutorial tonight hopefully and start shipping boards. I will be contcting people soon to make sure I have correct addresses.
Cheers all!

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 24, 2013 3:32 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

Noice!

Ecuador

Awesome!!, I hope there is another batch for this, for an assembled one off course.

Michigan

Well talk after these are sent out. I will definately need a new project to occupy my time.
The z80 boards are much more simple component- and construction-wise.

I am really loving this bitbang thing nitro taught me about. It saved loads of time and assisted with component reduction. You can read all about it in my blog post.

clovis CA

+1
you totally kicked this projects ass wink

Matthew Joseph Payne

omggggg

Straya Mate
Jazzmarazz wrote:

And there is no chance to trim the connector? I wasn't sure if the blocking mechanism was on the connector or on the DS shell.

I'm actually in the middle of designing a flasher using the DS connector, they do work, but they are smt and the blocking tabs are on the connector, you can trim them quite easily with a dremel or they even snap off cleanly if your careful enough.

Last edited by DaRkO (Sep 24, 2013 4:05 pm)

Michigan

So you have to cut off the mounting tab too? Not interested I guess. Sounds like that would compromise the strength of the connector.

As for my boards, I am still just programming one after the other and have finally finished the tutorial on my blog. Part 2 will be on the useage of the board, so everyone can benefit.

Funny story, I used it to dump a pirate cartridge I got from a friend over-seas. It is a 32-in-1 cart but when you dump the ROM it is only Barbie! The pirates played a trick on me! The game only works on actual hardware. lol

Matthew Joseph Payne

Have you tried loading a diff. Game then dumping again?

Straya Mate
Jazzmarazz wrote:

So you have to cut off the mounting tab too? Not interested I guess. Sounds like that would compromise the strength of the connector.

As for my boards, I am still just programming one after the other and have finally finished the tutorial on my blog. Part 2 will be on the useage of the board, so everyone can benefit.

Funny story, I used it to dump a pirate cartridge I got from a friend over-seas. It is a 32-in-1 cart but when you dump the ROM it is only Barbie! The pirates played a trick on me! The game only works on actual hardware. lol

Yeah unfortunately, I have done so before though and the connectors are still rock solid as that tab hardly does anything, the main thing it stops is people ripping the connector clean off if they yank the cart directly up, there are also two holes which can be used as screw holes directly beneath the connector on some revisions, just have to use precise length screws. Other revisions use and little plastic through hole poles. But yeah it's a bit of a muck around.

And that pirate cart haha tongue

Last edited by DaRkO (Sep 25, 2013 3:12 pm)

Michigan
kineticturtle wrote:

Have you tried loading a diff. Game then dumping again?

Most definitely. I have dumped every game at my fingertips! It is just the pirate cart that tricks the programmer as sort of an anti-piracy measure...though they are the pirates. lol

DaRkO wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Yeah unfortunately, I have done so before though and the connectors are still rock solid as that tab hardly does anything, the main thing it stops is people ripping the connector clean off if they yank the cart directly up, there are also two holes which can be used as screw holes directly beneath the connector on some revisions, just have to use precise length screws. Other revisions use and little plastic through hole poles. But yeah it's a bit of a muck around.

And that pirate cart haha tongue

Rock solid eh? That is good to hear, because I am always weary. God forbid my first or second product be a failure because of a single component!

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 25, 2013 4:27 pm)

How large is the Barbie rom (in actual bytes not in read size)? my guess is it's a custom bank controller (in the cart) that addresses different parts of one rom file. Maybe loads them to ram? any chance of a pic of board? You could also put a cap between +5v and ground (on cart) to test the "rom gets loaded to ram" idea. although I doubt it would do that anyway, I'd only expect a flashcart that loaded games off of external memory to do such things.

Michigan
12ianma wrote:

How large is the Barbie rom (in actual bytes not in read size)? my guess is it's a custom bank controller (in the cart) that addresses different parts of one rom file. Maybe loads them to ram? any chance of a pic of board? You could also put a cap between +5v and ground (on cart) to test the "rom gets loaded to ram" idea. although I doubt it would do that anyway, I'd only expect a flashcart that loaded games off of external memory to do such things.

Elaborate on the capacitor idea. How do you figure?

you will notice a soldered jumper on the back of the board. At one point, this jumper had been connected to GND. Was it used to pull /WE low?

Michigan

Looking at the hex files and comparing the pirate with the official Barbie, there are all sorts of differences. Differences in the header, and many difference in the blank spaces.

The gameplay however is identical.