California

http://chipmusic.org/vcmg/music/shiosai … -requested

I was playing it through from start to finish and realized that it was already over 5 minutes long even though it didn't feel like I'd done much with my ideas. I just want to make sure this isn't turning into some 8-minute plodding yawner where it feels like it's just the same thing over and over.

Last edited by VCMG (Sep 24, 2013 4:14 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Needs to be about 35.763% slower, according to national standards.

Seriously, I don't want to be a meanie here but why the hell would we know how slow the song aught to be? You wrote it, you get to choose how slow or fast it is. Does it sound good to you? If so, stick with it. Don't pander to others.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Sep 23, 2013 5:06 am)

Michigan

The speed of a song is your deciding. If you are unsure; however, add a sped up verse somewhere in the middle.
I would be more worried about the volume. Was it recorded into a mic rather than through your prosound?

I thought about the song being faster and didn't like it, but again, my opinion is worthless in this respect because I didn't write it.

Taichung, Taiwan

Make music you want to listen to.

Florida

The pacing is completely up to you. I did find the song to be pretty boring until about 3 and a half minutes in. It was way too repetative, the chord progression was a bit overkill

California

I guess it would have been much better if I'd said "repetitive" instead of "slow-paced", oh well.

For the volume, I recorded it through the regular headphone jack at the same settings that I use for everything else, but the song just uses lots of quiet instruments. It sounded loud enough when I was going over the recording, though.

NC in the US of America

Did you normalize?

Edit: I think it's pretty cool. The part @ 1:24 I was expecting a different chord progression to come from that. @ 2:00 I was expecting a gear change/variation instead of a straight repetition of the first theme.

For the most part it held the same level of interest for me from start to finish. I like the cool sound you have going. Pretty unique compared to a lot of the other LSDJ stuff out there. You always make neat sounds, man. big_smile

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Sep 23, 2013 4:07 pm)

NC in the US of America

*woops double-post*

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Sep 23, 2013 4:07 pm)

England

most lsdj music is very fast. everyone should make slower lsdj music.

Spookane, Warshington

I thought the song was great! It may be repetitive, but not in a bad way (at least not for me.) It's a very chill song. Downloading it for sure.

KC

as far as moving forward to slowly: sounds like your asking how does it progress. that's up to you. listen to it and make it how you want to hear it.

I could see it working for a video/game/movie but as a song to listen to, maybe some more movement.
speed some parts up/slow some down for that. a quick little interlude as a transition maybe.

it is a bit repetetive just listen to it and where you hear the parts repeat, cut some of those repeats out. that's where transitions come in.

Nomad's Land
Jellica wrote:

most lsdj music is very fast. everyone should make slower lsdj music.

Couldn't agree more.

About the song, I really enjoyed the part from 3:30 onwards. Before that, somehow I'm not really feeling it, knowaddamean? I think repetitiveness isn't the issue, but the overall sound design is quite muddy (especially the echoes aren't really pushing through), and the lead and harmonies in general aren't as catchy as you normally do them.

Well, you know I love your music, so I hope you don't mind me being rather critical on this one.

Ed: Listening to it again, I'd say it's mainly the panning that needs work. Must have more spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace. You could try taking the pads out of the center, and make the lead move around.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Sep 24, 2013 7:01 pm)

California

Hm, never thought about the panning before. I'll try that now, thanks.

NC in the US of America

For what it's worth I did enjoy the first half.