Really funny as I don't see Barbie even listed.  FUN-e shit.

Michigan
DSC wrote:

Really funny as I don't see Barbie even listed.  FUN-e shit.

It actually has only 5 games or so. Barbie, Mario Land, Dr. Mario and the others are repeated under different names. lol
It is probably the worst pirate cart ever and it does have Barbie. It is the first, last and several places in between.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 25, 2013 6:11 pm)

The cap would make it so that it had never been shut off, so if it loads a game it would stay loaded by the time you got it in flasher

Sweeeeeeden

This might be a good idea to once again mention that I'm working on a flasher on my own, which will have features the existing "Polish student"  flasher doesn't.
The pirate cart probably needs special commands, to switch to a different ROM, which the flasher cannot give, as it only supports a standard MBC. These commands would normally be given by the menu ROM. My flasher could do this easily, of course. I think 12ianma's idea was to stick a big cap on the cartridge so it would retain the choice from the menu and then move the cartridge to the flasher.

It's strange that dumping the ROM gives Barbie and not the menu. Maybe the ROM starts with something that is the Barbie ROM with a small boot strap to select the menu ROM, which doesn't work after you've dumped the ROM and starts the actual Barbie ROM instead. The changes could also have to do with a completely non-standard memory controller. Would you mind sharing what you have dumped? And maybe if you want loan me the cartridge for experiments.

The soldered jumper is interesting. I'm thinking that the ROM might be a programmable memory, but probably one time programmable at best. If this is the case, the jumper might be for the programming voltage or a write pulse for the memory. Another thing it might be is a game selection, so that removing the solder turns it into a different multicart. (Cheaper to make a single mas ROM and use for different products.)

But where is it even connected? It seems to ust be a via, which is extended down a little on the bottom side. The solder blob is near a line which goes off to the /RD line (not /WR) but I think that's not even connected to the solder blob. So it seems to be connecting two points on the chip, unless one is a sneaky ground.

Edit: Also, don't be fooled by the flash manufacturer/chip ID values printed there. Those are just bytes read from the ROM. Normally, you would detect a flash chip by writing a certain command sequence to the flash chip and then read out the values at certain memory locations. This flasher is dumb and reads the values without making an effort to check whether they are actually from the flash chip or just bytes from the ROM. My flasher, that I mentioned above, does do this.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Sep 25, 2013 8:25 pm)

Yes my idea was to keep the cart rocking after the special command was given. I assume it would not work as anything more than a long shot, but would be easy to try

Michigan

In any case, I wrote a tutorial on how to use the board. Even as straightforward as it is, you might forget to do something (like erasing ROM before writing it). tongue
http://jazz-disassemblies.blogspot.com/

Cleveland, OH

Just popping in to say this is rad. I've been ultra lazy on my programmer...

Matthew Joseph Payne

Don't forget this: http://thretris.blogspot.com/2009/12/ga … c-osx.html !

Michigan
thursdaycustoms wrote:

Just popping in to say this is rad. I've been ultra lazy on my programmer...

You sure have man! I was really wanting to build my own into a transfer pak shell but you slacked off. tongue
I didn't want to steal the idea though.

kineticturtle wrote:

Don't forget this: http://thretris.blogspot.com/2009/12/ga … c-osx.html !

Nice, I'll add a link in my tut. Lol at those comments. lol

Thank you so much for doing this! Your a boss. I cannot wait to see this in the mail.

Michigan
doctormark77 wrote:

Thank you so much for doing this! Your a boss. I cannot wait to see this in the mail.

And you will, soon.
Everyone gets a box except for Kitsch who gets an envelope. Darko gets an international box.
Cheers,
Remember to keep an eye on my other project(s) and share input!

Taichung, Taiwan

big_smile

katsumbhong wrote:

big_smile

I've needed this for like 3 months. Cannot wait...

Super cool.  I'm also down for whatever you come up with next. big_smile  Just revisited your blog for additional info too.
Also, huge props for all of the detailed info.

Straya Mate

Yay special international box :3

Can't wait, love getting things to work on in the mail, my chips and stuff will arrive about the same time too methinks.

Does mine also get a Barbie/Fairy/Princess sticker? Pleeeeease Jazz? wink

Last edited by DaRkO (Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm)

Michigan

Everyone has been PM'ed for their addresses. The only person who used paypal "to purchase an item," didn't give me their screen name! lol