kelso washington

This is a gameboy pocket I am talking about, I took it apart the other day and put it back together (i took it apart to clean behind the lcd, without any liquids) and they're were 3 lines running down the screen, vertical, and missing pixels, they were twoards the middle of the screen. I turned it on and off hoping the lines would go away, and to my amazement they did. I found this kinda weird, so I opened it back up, checked the ribbon cable, and it looked fine to me, so I put it back together and 2 lines apeared. I turned it off and on once again, and the lines went away once more, so I reopened it, blah blah blah, and then only one line, flicked it on and off, and its gone. I am hoping this is a permanant fix, I kinda just have my gameboy sitting there on a shelf for now because I am scared it might come back. Is there any way to permenatly fix this or possibly a vendor who sells just lcd's?

matt's mind

the issue is where the ribbon cable meets the glass part of the screen.  sounds like some solder points may be a touch loose.

its possible to fix, it involves heat just like fixing the DMG screens.  but the application is much much trickier. 

i've been using something like this with much better results than a straight soldering iron:

search for 'LCD repair soldering iron' or something similar on ebay.  someone here on cm.o was questioning them in a thread a while back, i picked one up, it works really well

also if you are someone who just likes weird tools (like me), its great.  the most specialized soldering iron tip i've come across.  the pyrography ones were until i got this guy

kelso washington

I've been heat gunning it a couple times and I think its getting better, if it fails, I'll just buy a donor, but I dont really want to, is there anywhere I could get just a replacement lcd?

matt's mind

not atm that i'm aware, a donor is your best bet

Germany

I had the best results removing the vertical lines using the tip of a flat iron (dont you laugh at me).
It won´t get too hot, i thought. And it did the job. No more lines.
It may need a bit longer than with a soldering iron to heat the parts up so be patient and don´t stop after nothing happens
after a minute.

Cleveland, OH
kitsch wrote:

the issue is where the ribbon cable meets the glass part of the screen.  sounds like some solder points may be a touch loose.

its possible to fix, it involves heat just like fixing the DMG screens.  but the application is much much trickier. 

i've been using something like this with much better results than a straight soldering iron:

search for 'LCD repair soldering iron' or something similar on ebay.  someone here on cm.o was questioning them in a thread a while back, i picked one up, it works really well

also if you are someone who just likes weird tools (like me), its great.  the most specialized soldering iron tip i've come across.  the pyrography ones were until i got this guy

Why did I not know this tool existed!