Memphis, TN

Ok, thanks for the list, but I still will need some explanation. Such as, what are flashable cartridges, what qualifies as big enough for a mixer, what are FX pedals, whats a drum machine, and where might I purchase a beard?

Edit: I have really fond memories of the N64, and still have one upstairs that I play from time to time. Would this be a viable platform?

Last edited by Ateno (Oct 3, 2013 9:02 pm)

Los Angeles, CA
Ateno wrote:

Ok, thanks for the list, but I still will need some explanation. Such as, what are flashable cartridges, what qualifies as big enough for a mixer, what are FX pedals, whats a drum machine, and where might I purchase a beard?

Edit: I have really fond memories of the N64, and still have one upstairs that I play from time to time. Would this be a viable platform?

A big enough mixer is a mixer big enough to handle all of the inputs you will need.  It's pretty variable, and you can figure it out.

Effects pedals are generally devices which have circuitry which change an audio signal in some way, this is also super variable, a little bit of research will help you out here.

A drum machine is a device by which drum sounds are produced.  This can be by actual synthesis, or by samples, and lots of mixes as well.  They are also super variable and some research will help again.

I've never heard of a music program for the N64.

A good beard vendor is a good friend to have.

I hope this was helpful!

Toronto, Canada

I would suggest actually learning a little bit about what you are trying to do before asking people what you should buy.  If you don't know what the terms mentioned above are, or people give you suggestions and you have no clue what they even are, you are not ready to start setting up a 'rig'.

Do some research, then ask questions.  Showing up knowing next to nothing and basically asking everybody to give you a shopping list is kind of silly.

Memphis, TN

I wasn't necessarily asking for a shopping list. Simply what I needed to research, because in my previous attempts to research I had nothing to go off of besides "How to Make Chipmusic". I needed a basis to expand off of, and this has been provided for me.
I will return with questions when I'm properly informed.

NC in the US of America

If you don't know what you want then you don't need it.
Edit: Oh nevermind. I see you got what you were looking for.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 4, 2013 12:04 am)

seattle

i don't think there are any trackers/music programs for the N64, from what i remember it's dsp-based and super gross.

South Korea

I think a VERY good place to start is LittleGPTracker. http://littlegptracker.com/
It runs on several platforms (PC, PSP, Caanoo, Dingoo, etc.), it's free, it's sample based (endless sound possibilities), and the interface is VERY similar to LSDJ.
Download it, head over to the LITTLEGPTRACKER forums on this site, and HAVE FUN.
First learn how to write passable music, get criticized by some bitter assholes, get over the butthurt, and ONLY THEN make serious monetary investments if you are still into it.
Too many people hear one chip song, buy the most kitted-out, shiny, custom GameBoys and $100 flashcarts, and then lose interest in a few months time, because like any other instrument (except kazoo), it takes time and lots of practice to get good.

NC in the US of America
DeerPresident wrote:

ike any other instrument (except kazoo), it takes time and lots of practice to get good.

This is a horrible HORRIBLE misconception that needs to be squashed right now. I see it TOO much. Kazoo takes SO MUCH practice and time to master, due to the fact that it requires you to hold a NOTE with your VOICE. Vocal. training for someone who plans to do vocals in their music is just as important as training with any other aspect of your musical expression, be it an instrument, composition, technical proficiency, etc.

Train your VOICE yo. Sing scales and junk so you can stay ON PITCH, and get your quality of tone on point. Push out that diaphragm and use head-tones on them high notes, kid. Give your throat a rest. And control your vibrato and lung capacity for goodness' sake! If your stomach doesn't feel like it's going to flip inside out at the end of your set, you are doing it wrong.

Get it right, son. And do it often so you don't lose it due to 10 years of vocal laziness.

Edit: wink

tongue

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 4, 2013 4:57 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

A netbook with an audio interface may be good enough. Try to avoid putting the cart in front of the horse.

South Korea

SketchMan3 is correct, I was mistaking the OBVIOUSLY difficult kazoo for the UNDENIABLY EASY trumpet. My apologies brother. tongue
Use whatever you have at your disposal, there are chiptune programs for almost anything, even calculators!

NC in the US of America
DeerPresident wrote:

SketchMan3 is correct, I was mistaking the OBVIOUSLY difficult kazoo for the UNDENIABLY EASY trumpet. My apologies brother. tongue
Use whatever you have at your disposal, there are chiptune programs for almost anything, even calculators!

I'm just saying man. Gotta work on dem vox as much as anything else, and that includes staying on pitch (as far as the kazoo is concerned) and hitting those notes.
not to hijack the thread or anything, but this is an example of good kazoo playing wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJysdWOWTc8

chunter wrote:

A netbook with an audio interface may be good enough. Try to avoid putting the cart in front of the horse.

I see what you did there.