Finland

So. I made two new tracks pretty recently ( https://soundcloud.com/myexplosion/under-the-stars and https://soundcloud.com/myexplosion/cosmic ) and I thought to myself that they just might be a notch above my usual output (not that I'm really able to judge myself that well) so my question to you fine people is:

* What does the mixing sound like to you? Does it sound particularly weak in any area?
* What do you think of the melody and general capability to "follow" the track?
* Lastly: Variation. I know that every track could always use more variation but do these tracks strike in particular direction? Lazy? Ambitious?

I don't get a ton of feedback what concerns my music so I hope someone can weigh in here. smile

Hugs and kisses~

Last edited by my.Explosion (Oct 4, 2013 11:25 am)

NC in the US of America

The mixing is cool.
Melody is all over the place and I can't really find anything coherent to hold on to.
Not much variety in the chord progressions. The tracks don't seem to have much direction, and the melodies don't seem to be trying to tell me anything.

The backing beats are cool sounding. I liked the second one better than the first.

Finland

Cool man! smile

So better melodies then.... Hmmmm.

Florida

I like these very much. I dont know what sketchman was talking about. I think the melodies and chord progressions were fine. was the song structure the best it could be? No but it wasn't terrible, I have heard much worse. My only advice would be to add a bit more variety in your instruments. I want these on my ipod asap smile

NC in the US of America
Boy Without Batteries wrote:

I like these very much. I dont know what sketchman was talking about. I think the melodies and chord progressions were fine. was the song structure the best it could be? No but it wasn't terrible, I have heard much worse. My only advice would be to add a bit more variety in your instruments. I want these on my ipod asap smile

Yeah... well hey, I guess that melody style just isn't one that speaks to me, I guess. That's why my feedback was personalized with a significantly placed "I"s and "Me"s, hehe. All the things I described could just as easily be a list of things someone likes about the tracks. tongue

Keep on keeping on, man. Just make what you want to hear. That's the most important thing.

Oh just a point of clarification, when I said the tracks lacked direction, what I meant was that I didn't feel a sense of "movement". They just seemed to stay mostly in the same place for most of the time. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 5, 2013 1:38 pm)

Finland

Thanks guys! smile

@ Boy Without Batteries: I think it's time I do some studies on song structure I think. ^^; I've also just recently started experimenting with different instruments. In fact, that one track "Cosmic" is probably the track that has used the most number of instruments yet. :I

@ SketchMan: Will do, man. smile I'll keep going for the foreseeable future!
Thanks for clarifying that point some more: I'll think about it the next time I'm working on a tune. Doubt that I'm gonna understand it anytime soon but I gotta start somewhere! big_smile

Thanks again! Super helpful! big_smile heart

NC in the US of America

Oops! Haha I typed "sample place" I meant "same place" ^//^

Like, because the melody and chord progressions were mostly doing the same kind of patterns (or lack thereof) all the way through, I didn't feel like the  different sections related/contrasted with each other in a meaningful way. Once again, maybe this style is just not my tea cup and I'm missing something necessary to fully comprehend/appreciate it, so take it with a grain or two of salt. wink

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, this reminds me of the melody style of Unicorn Dream Attack's latest release crossed with EDM beats.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 5, 2013 1:46 pm)

Finland

No worries man I got what you meant. smile

And I think I understand what you mean now. It's a very valid point and I'll definitely work at ameliorating this in my future tracks! (It's not a style decision it's just my sucky way of making music)

My music(or style) has never been compared to anything else out there so I appreciate that you took a stab at it. xD Gives me just a tiny bit of context as to what people think of it/evaluate it as. smile

Last edited by my.Explosion (Oct 5, 2013 8:48 pm)