Pittsburgh

In checking out various LSDJ-oriented DMGs on eBay recently, I came across this one with a blue shell: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Boy-Dmg-Cl … 1336798762
I immediately assumed it was an ASMretro shell. However, then I noticed the fact that the "Nintendo GAME BOY tm" branding is still below the screen, which is not on an ASM boy. In addition, the model number area is populated with stock information rather than being completely blank. Finally, the serial number is there, seemingly printed on a custom transparent label (though it may just be a reflection of the rest, difficult to tell).
I would guess that it was a clear case made blue via RIT or X-metals. However, the text would be either black or pink, depending on the DMG, and I doubt either color would dye the lettering as is present here.
I would ask the seller, but I have no eBay account yet. Does anyone know who made the case for this gameboy, or how it was painted?

matt's mind

probably rit dyed

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:35 am)

Pittsburgh

Thanks for the quick responses, guys! Now, if it weren't to goddamn impossible to find X-Metals around where I live...

Brisbane, Australia

What I found super interesting was this:

santi_vs_cupcake from eBay wrote:

it has a mini amp for the speaker this thing is loud, the speaker is from an sega gamegear so we all know how loud those speakers are

I've just ordered a gamegear speaker after seeing this and am gonna see how much of a difference it makes!

UK, Leicester

How come the text is blue as well? I thought that the text stayed whatever colour it was on the DMG before it was dyed, or have I misunderstood something?

Michigan
jackary wrote:

santi_vs_cupcake from eBay wrote:

it has a mini amp for the speaker this thing is loud, the speaker is from an sega gamegear so we all know how loud those speakers are

I've just ordered a gamegear speaker after seeing this and am gonna see how much of a difference it makes!

Did you buy a speaker or an amp? In any case, a commercial option is in the works.

Pittsburgh
Alpine wrote:

How come the text is blue as well? I thought that the text stayed whatever colour it was on the DMG before it was dyed, or have I misunderstood something?

One of my main confusions with this case. I suppose that the dye/paint must have seeped into the text as well, unless there's some sort of uber-rare-blue-text-clearboy out there.

Detroit

I tried to rit dye a clear case once and it DID NOT WORK.  I can't tell if the shot is weird or the case is slightly wonky from warping.

I just want an atomic purple DMG :<

Pittsburgh

Oh man, atom purple DMG would be SO AWESOME! Kitsch, ASM, nudge-nudge!

matt's mind

< consider nudged

Brisbane, Australia
Jazzmarazz wrote:
jackary wrote:

Did you buy a speaker or an amp? In any case, a commercial option is in the works.

A speaker. And what do you mean by a 'commercial option'?