Dublin, Ireland

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has any good experience with techniques for widening the stereo field of mono devices within the chip field?

I've found a fair amount of the techniques if found for generally widening a mono signal tend to have either a negligible effect or some pretty horrid, unwanted phasing effects. But then I haven't explored it in great depth.

I was wondering if double tracking and the inconsistencies in playback having a decent effect on what's available to play with there?

(I'm mostly thinking of this from a Game Boy perspective by the way, in case anyone's wondering.)

(Also please excuse me if this is a stupid question. :s)

Dublin, Ireland

I'd be particularly interested in widening the stereo field in a live context... as useless as that may be in the UK/IE a lot of the time.

Dallas, Texas

The first question that comes to mind is why don't you just use the gameboy as a stereo device i.e program in stereo content into your tracks?

Apart from that you can try some stereo reverbs or stereo harmonic exciters (like the Aphex Aural Exciter or to a lesser extent the BBE Sonic Maximizer)

Those will give you some variations in the L and R channels producing a 'more stereo than it was before' signal.  But the real truth is you won't get the feeling true separation without actually being able to pan stuff Left Center an Right.

Dublin, Ireland

Well, primarily, because hard panning is not the same as stereo width, and also because I have taken to working with the L & R outputs as a sort of wet wet/dry switch (primarily because hard panning mostly annoys me anyhow).

Thanks for the advice on the effects though.

NC in the US of America

hard panning can be used to create the illusion of stereo-width if you use it effectively. If you are using a gameboy maybe you should record all the tracks seperately or something

If you are looking to alter/change the wave form to increase separation in phase, I would suggest the FM aid from Happy nerding.  This is not an effect.  It uses phase modulation (They describe as FM, but technically it is PM)  based on wave forms that are built in.  You also can inject your own carrier wave.  This is a Eurorack module, but I use it for exactly what you describe.

Yokohama, Japan

here are some general tutorials I found good.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/a … t-0910.htm
Actually for any general sound production techniques I think sound is probably one of the best sites out there.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mix … reo-image/

I like to use the stereo chorus effect (quick and easy), but they say this should be used on single sounds and not a full mix.
(however you can get these in a effect peddle type thing)