Geneseo, IL

I don't know how well you guys know me, but I've been making chiptune for about 3 years now. I moved to college in August. I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 1st grade and I was on Concerta, basically Ritalin, since then. Before I moved to college, my doctor found out that my medication was raising my blood pressure and had me switch to Bupropion, which is an antidepressant that has been shown to combat the symptoms of ADHD. All this being said, I can't write music anymore. It could be the medication, the fact that I'm in college, or that I have no time. Maybe a combination. All I know is that when I try to write, I get about 4 rows down (LSDJ) and then I tell myself the song is going nowhere and give up. I delete it.

Am I done? Like, will I permanently not be able to write?

https://soundcloud.com/sapr8bit
To give you an idea, I feel like I totally write different when I was on my old medication as opposed to no medication and my new medication. Razbliuto was written on Bupropion, Circuit Board City, Liquidation Isolation, and Those Bare Bones were all written without medication and all the other songs were written on Concerta.

Again, am I just going through a phase, or am I done writing forever?

seattle

it's probably not good to experiment with medication like this, so i'm not going to suggest getting off your meds or anything.

just try to stay away from that "this song is going nowhere" mindset. if you don't like it, cool. save it, and pick it up another day when you have a clear head. if you forgot everything about it, that's even better.

just keep on chugging heart

NC in the US of America

This is a very interesting topic, but i agree with seatrash.

Unsubscribe

Why do you want to make music? There is nothing wrong with changing your interests.

Geneseo, IL

Music enables me to express things I can't put into words. It lets me retreat to a land of infinite possibilities. It helps me cope with life.

California, United States

then write your feelings down rather than melodies in your head.

I know how that feels I have the same problem trying to make tracks it's hard to focus but you can over come it!

Boise, ID

I was on antidepressants for a while too, and what you're saying completely makes sense. I had no creativity or drive for my artwork and music the entire time I was on those drugs, and I hated it. That, and life in general improved once I got off of them. Talk to your doc about it, how music is an important outlet for you and maybe he can get you something different.

Besides that, I've heard that caffeine has really positive effects for people with ADHD or ADD, you could try writing after downing an energy drink or something.

Man errr body in this thread needs a serious hug right now or am I the only one...

Just wanted to say, keep strong, bro, I believe you'll overcome that difficult period!

Florida

I also struggle with ADHD-PI. The most difficult thing is starting something from scratch- sometimes I can stare at the screen for hours and have very little to show for it. sad Coffee does seem to help, even if it's just a placebo, as I'm too poor to afford insurance/meds. smile

maybe prematurely giving up is  a symptom of the adhd and a sign that the new medicine is less effective at dealing with your adhd than the last one? speak to your doctor about imo

i didnt notice any direct affect of any medications on my music writing but it affects your spirit in broad ways and im sure some will pass into your music

is it permanent? no! i think youll find a new approach to accomodate the new medicines or if that fails find a better medicine

I think the fact that you were drugged in the first place is truly tragic. If you were on ritalin from such a young age, you surely must have suffered developmental brain damage from such a highly addictive medication. And now you're on anti-depressants, which are even worse... Withdrawals from anti-depressants have been the cause of many suicides, and sometimes even murders.

You're in a never ending cycle of drug reliance, and I have huge sympathy for your situation. Also college is not for everyone, so depending on what your goals are professionally, it may or may not be a good idea for you.

Last edited by GREATSWORD (Oct 7, 2013 3:37 pm)

sandneil wrote:

maybe prematurely giving up is  a symptom of the adhd and a sign that the new medicine is less effective at dealing with your adhd than the last one? speak to your doctor about imo

Don't be ridiculous. Most children at the age of 6 are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD whether they actually have it or not. It is natural for all children to display the qualities of ADHD because they are bored easily and have lots of energy.

Giving up on things is a symptom of depression.

it is not a good idea for people to be giving medical advice or opinions on this thread

defPREMIUM wrote:

it is not a good idea for people to be giving medical advice or opinions on this thread

If I have an argument, I am going to make it. If you think said argument is incorrect, you can present your evidence to the contrary. That is how intelligent debate works. If you consider it wrong to do that, then I seriously question the rationality of your thinking.

Last edited by GREATSWORD (Oct 7, 2013 3:39 pm)