TX

I don't even think charging per minute of music covers it. A soundtrack of 30 1-minute pieces is usually a lot more work than a soundtrack of 10 3-minute pieces (all other things being equal). Basically, it's a complex issue; I don't think a single general policy will adequately address all cases.

Net or gross royalties? http://jerrodbalzer.com/net-royalty-vs-gross-royalty/

Brighton/Southampton

Always oversell/offer higher than you'd think... and never give away your price in public ;P

..at least that's what people have usually told me to do

Melbourne, Australia
ShintarouMusic wrote:

Depends on how many songs they need, and length.
I'd go for 5-10$ per song; that might be cheap though compared to more established composers prices.

Think of how many hours you'll be putting into it and ask for something that sounds reasonable to you.
It probably also depends if they expect to make a good bit of profit off the game. If they are better known and have had good success with earlier games you should ask for more.

LOL no

Melbourne, Australia
10spd wrote:

Ok, so!
After receiving an alpha build of the game (and staying up far too late into the night enjoying the heck out of it) I have come to this:
$X per minute of music. $Y per sound effect (that was actually the client's idea, works for me!)
With Z% royalties on the backend.

Flat-rates are payable on delivery.
Seems pretty solid to me, but
Am I shooting myself in the foot here?

Thanks again to everyone for your great advice.

Yeah that sounds pretty good to me. Personally I ask for half of flat up front but hey - whatever floats your boat.

Earth
Cementimental wrote:

Net or gross royalties? http://jerrodbalzer.com/net-royalty-vs-gross-royalty/

That's a good question. But when it comes to apps they usually call it profit sharing. I guess "profit sharing" implies getting a cut AFTER taxes and shit. So it's a bit more specific.

Edit: not taxes but costs.

Last edited by breakphase (Oct 11, 2013 2:57 pm)

Rhode Island
Derris-Kharlan wrote:

Yeah that sounds pretty good to me. Personally I ask for half of flat up front but hey - whatever floats your boat.

Yes. I also do half up front with the other half payable on delivery of the tracks.

I also cap how many times they can have me rework a song. None of this "this track isn't exactly what I envisioned down to the last note so therefore it's not perfect and hence me not paying you"

Tokyo, Japan
herr_prof wrote:

Make sure to get any such agreement in writing and notarized.

This!