Taichung, Taiwan

Anyone have an original Nintendo DS that they don't mind letting go of?

Alive and well in fucksville

i found one on amazon for fourty dollars. gonna do a mod on it.

Germany

in what condition do you need it? i can easly grab one for about 10-15€, but they often have a broken hinge or something the like (nothing that couldnt be repaired with a simple replacement part from china).

Taichung, Taiwan
Bamboori wrote:

in what condition do you need it? i can easly grab one for about 10-15€, but they often have a broken hinge or something the like (nothing that couldnt be repaired with a simple replacement part from china).

I'm looking to pick them up local. I found out that they have front light panels that can be used in lighting GBCs and are a lot cheaper to find than GBA SP AGS-001s... at least for me!

Jyväskylä, Finland
katsumbhong wrote:

I found out that they have front light panels that can be used in lighting GBCs and are a lot cheaper to find than GBA SP AGS-001s... at least for me!

I have to disagree with you. Original DS actually has backlight which won't work with GBCs. If I remember right, there should be a topic in Benheck's forum about this.

E: http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.ph … mp;t=12147

Last edited by Pale (Oct 10, 2013 2:10 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan
Pale wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

I found out that they have front light panels that can be used in lighting GBCs and are a lot cheaper to find than GBA SP AGS-001s... at least for me!

I have to disagree with you. Original DS actually has backlight which won't work with GBCs. If I remember right, there should be a topic in Benheck's forum about this.

E: http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.ph … mp;t=12147

Picking up a few and checking. Users on ben heck also found frontlight units in the DS.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Oct 10, 2013 4:12 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan

The early versions of the DS originally came with frontlights and the later versions of the original DS came with backlights.

hole

I have a pink DS Lite, but the slot 2 case is missing. PM me if you are intested

dude, if you can, try keeping it functional. having a ds with no lights would mean longer battery life. i would be interested in that. if i kill my original ds when i desolder the clock crystal and add the gbaccelerator ds, i would consider sending you 1 of the frontlight panels ( if mine has that) do you absoluteley need 2? i wanted to frontlight a dmg...the unmodded lcd is like the color of money.

Last edited by bitjacker (Oct 12, 2013 1:55 pm)

update... the original ds i modded does not have frontlights. I broke the touchscreen because i put the gbaccelerator in the wrong spot.

Taichung, Taiwan

There were a few revisions of the original DS. The very first ones released came with frontlight panels.

katsumbhong wrote:

There were a few revisions of the original DS. The very first ones released came with frontlight panels.

is there a special serial number to look for? I really would like to try to frontlight a dmg with one. I know a light from a sp wont work... well the plastic would... wouldnt any led work to illuminate the plastic from the sp frontlight??? it would just be tits to look at an unscathed dmg screen lit up.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jan 3, 2014 11:55 pm)

Taichung, Taiwan

Just curious as to why you would want to frontlight a DMG...

i just like the color. kinda grew up on it

i even bought a gameboy watch.

Taichung, Taiwan

The modder that I've been in contact with about this mod has told me that he couldn't find any identifying marks as to which of the DS units would carry the FL or the BL. He said that the FL units were only produced for a very short run. He had purchased a bulk order of broken DS' from eBay and had found a number of them to contain the FL units.