okay but i dont see why that means he "shouldn't be sampling"..
but anyways w/e

<33<3<333<33

some people like talking about stuff while others like reading & others like different other things

NC in the US of America

Yeah it's just one of those things that'sre hard to wrap your head around if you don't think that way but it's okay. Like... you ain't got no business dippin' in the kool-aid you don't even know what's the flavor. It's like... it bends the space-time continuum and stuff.

Edit: Not using the Edit button makes the addendum message more dramatic.

San Diego

My older stuff used tons of samples, but its not like you could pick out a track in a song and know what it was from. I was always told that you were allowed 3 sec of sampling from a musician friend of mine. Don't have a clue if that's true or not but I never wanted to test it. Copyright laws aren't so cut and dry either. If you've ever tried to look into them to see where you might be pushing it the lines you'll notice that they tend to be vague or overlap. Most of the times I've noticed record labels are more interested in people downloading illegally then for copyright issues. Best rule of thumb I always went by was to 1. Never sell a song that I used a sample in, ever.  2. Give credit to the artist you used. Even artist such as Daft Punk have every song they used for samples or remixing listed on their albums. If you give credit to the artist you tend to find yourself in a loophole that DJs tend to get by with. If someone knows where that track is from then they can find the original and possibly buy it, so in a sense you're helping to promote said artist.

SketchMan3 wrote:

Yeah it's just one of those things that'sre hard to wrap your head around if you don't think that way but it's okay. Like... you ain't got no business dippin' in the kool-aid you don't even know what's the flavor. It's like... it bends the space-time continuum and stuff.

Edit: Not using the Edit button makes the addendum message more dramatic.

lol your analogy is awesome and i heart u

TX
SketchMan3 wrote:

The only difference is that the "well-known artist" is being held to a double-standard/should have known better/is being a big meanie/has more to gain. Not that much different. :7

Whether or not it's a double standard depends on what your standard is. Crediting a sample that was taken from a song no one would probably hear except for the existence of your song is a nice thing to do. However, I understand that well known artists sometimes don't credit their samples because they're in a unique position to be squeezed for all they're worth and have that actually mean something. In view of that, I don't particularly have a problem with anyone sampling anything and not crediting it. I was just reacting to your claim that chiptune people were hypocritical about the issue, because I don't think it's as simple as that.

Manchester, UK
Ateno wrote:
awesomeforce wrote:

i think you're fine no matter what you do. just don't get famous.

That's my constant fear, and why I always asks these kind of legal questions. I don't think I will get famous, cause I have next to zero chance, but in the back of my mind I'm always thinking, "But what if I do... It'll all be illegal, therefore the fame will only be momentary."

You don't need to fear this at all. Obviously I'm not saying "You'll never be famous! Give up!" smile What I'm saying is, while getting well-known is a lot about luck, you absolutely need to satisfy the prerequisite of being really good at your music. You need to be really good. So unless you think you're already THAT GOOD that you could become really well-known with one of your songs, you really don't need to worry.

When you feel like you're getting close to that standard where things could kick off and sky-rocket for you with any one of your upcoming tracks, that's when to think about it. Be careful with your samples, maybe just stop sampling completely. The fact that you have old songs that used samples doesn't matter a bit, it's not like you'd be trying to sell those.

TL;DR, don't worry about it smile

Last edited by Boddrick (Oct 17, 2013 4:54 pm)

Madriz, Supain

The only rule about sampling is

It is okay if we sample whatever we want, but if Crystal Castles do, ITS THEFT

/leaves the room

NYC

Don't do what timbaland did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtUVC11ba4g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbaland … ontroversy

NYC
Vile wrote:

My older stuff used tons of samples, but its not like you could pick out a track in a song and know what it was from. I was always told that you were allowed 3 sec of sampling from a musician friend of mine. Don't have a clue if that's true or not but I never wanted to test it. Copyright laws aren't so cut and dry either. If you've ever tried to look into them to see where you might be pushing it the lines you'll notice that they tend to be vague or overlap. Most of the times I've noticed record labels are more interested in people downloading illegally then for copyright issues. Best rule of thumb I always went by was to 1. Never sell a song that I used a sample in, ever.  2. Give credit to the artist you used. Even artist such as Daft Punk have every song they used for samples or remixing listed on their albums. If you give credit to the artist you tend to find yourself in a loophole that DJs tend to get by with. If someone knows where that track is from then they can find the original and possibly buy it, so in a sense you're helping to promote said artist.

Excellent words of wisdom right there.

Dallas, Texas
jefftheworld wrote:

Don't forget that a sound can't be copyrighted. So if you sample individual sounds rather than elements of a composition you'll be fine.

Ie, sampling a snare drum is safe, sampling a bar of drums may not be.

I may or may not know what I'm talking about.

You're sorta right. The way I was always taught is that the recording itself is the media in question and every waveform in that recording is subject to the copyrights. Will anyone recognize a single snare hit from a semi popular song? Probably not. My advice is if you sample, you should also plan on modifying it enough to be able to call it you're own.

Ateno wrote:

So, what exactly are the rules about sampling?

http://www.free-culture.cc/freecontent/ - interesting and important reading matter re:copyright in general

Even artist such as Daft Punk have every song they used for samples or remixing listed on their albums. If you give credit to the artist you tend to find yourself in a loophole that DJs tend to get by with.

Pretty sure Daft Punk actually get their samples cleared. Giving credit is not a loophole in the unlikely event that someone does try to take legal action.

There's also the opposite approach which I doubt is up to much either:

For the avoidance of doubt, all music on this record, except where specifically noted, was played by or is comprised of samples originally created by Alec Empire or Nic Endo of Atari Teenage Riot.

YEAH NOT BLATANTLY SAMPLED FROM SLAYER OR ANYTHING.

Last edited by Cementimental (Oct 18, 2013 10:05 am)

UK, Leicester
Cementimental wrote:

http://www.free-culture.cc/freecontent/ - interesting and important reading matter re:copyright in general

Even artist such as Daft Punk have every song they used for samples or remixing listed on their albums. If you give credit to the artist you tend to find yourself in a loophole that DJs tend to get by with.

Pretty sure Daft Punk actually get their samples cleared. Giving credit is not a loophole in the unlikely event that someone does try to take legal action.

Daft punk get permission for the samples that they use.

Cementimental wrote:

There's also the opposite approach which I doubt is up to much either:

For the avoidance of doubt, all music on this record, except where specifically noted, was played by or is comprised of samples originally created by Alec Empire or Nic Endo of Atari Teenage Riot.

YEAH NOT BLATANTLY SAMPLED FROM SLAYER OR ANYTHING.

I'd forgotten about Atari Teenage Riot, are they disliked or anything? I find it hard to keep up with what the chip scene hates.

I love them forever but they have done/said some pretty foolish stuff over the years ^__^; Alec Empire was doing gameboy music before 99.9% of the chipmusic 'scene' was even born so hopefully they get some respect smile