UK, Leicester

Oh right, you see I only really know about them b/c when I first explained what chiptune was to my parents, my mum basically went "You might like this then" and lent me the future of man (a rather pretentious if you ask me)

IL, US

think you mean "the future of war"

UK, Leicester

that's the one, it's on a shelf about a meter above me, and I couldn't quite make it out

slightly less pretentious than I thought

Unsubscribe

Just read:

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eithompso … manual.pdf

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
TylerBarnes wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Don't forget that a sound can't be copyrighted. So if you sample individual sounds rather than elements of a composition you'll be fine.

Ie, sampling a snare drum is safe, sampling a bar of drums may not be.

I may or may not know what I'm talking about.

You're sorta right. The way I was always taught is that the recording itself is the media in question and every waveform in that recording is subject to the copyrights. Will anyone recognize a single snare hit from a semi popular song? Probably not. My advice is if you sample, you should also plan on modifying it enough to be able to call it you're own.

The performance and the arrangement may be copyright, but "the sound of a snare" is not a valid copyright. It's possible that someone would try to take you to court to sue over stealing their "performance" of a single hit of a snare but they'd be so unlikely to win and potential remuneration would be so small it wouldn't be likely to happen.

hiding under your bed

I'm going to sample the entirety of the song "Primadonna" by Marina and the Diamonds for one of my songs and no one's gonna stop me.