Devon UK

Hi folks,

With a little help from you guys, I've put together my first complete chiptune track, and I though I'd share it here.

It's at:

https://soundcloud.com/robin73-1/mechan … m-01101111

(looks like I'm not yet allowed to post proper links, so you'll have to copy the above into the address bar to hear it.)

I'd be intrigued to hear what people here make of it....

Regards,

Robin (who probably ought to get a slightly more funky username...).

New Albany Indiana

Is my right head phone broken jk

NC in the US of America

inb4 "Robin the Bit-Wonder" (don't do it! Dont!)

It's kind of interesting. It doesn't sound like the acidy stuff that tends to come out of nanoloop so it's nice to hear something different. Would be nice to hear some kind of transitioning between sections, and maybe a variance in the bassline sometimes. It has a cool atmosphere, although it doesn't seem very "mayhem" to me.

Keep on keeping on. Also, why is it only playing out of my left speaker?

I'd love to hear Grockle Stomps 1&3 as a dancey chippy tune

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm)

Montana

Good start. Try learning some basic music theory, it really helps.

Devon UK

Looks like I need to sort out my recording setup...

Thanks for your feedback. Sketchman3, I'm curious to know how you would suggest "transitioning" between sections. Would you say it's best to "drop back" some of the parts before a new section, or build intensity up to the change, or something else? I may get round to making chiptune versions of my "grockle stomps" as a near-future project.

Aaroneow, I actually know quite a lot of music theory already, which is good in some ways, but does mean that Nanoloop will never be the "blank slate" that it could be for someone who doesn't know any.

This piece is based very loosely on an Indian Rag called "Marwa" whose basic scale has a minor second, a major third, a sharp fourth, no fifth, and major 6th and 7ths degrees.

It's probably the minor 2nd and sharp 4ths that account for most of the strangeness of the soundworld. We don't often hear these intervals in western music, but I love exploring the exotic possibilities beyond the more common Major and minor tonalities we're used to.