Montreal, Canada

Hey,

I'm currently working on a game similar to Uplink, I wrote the story, made the graphics and coded the whole thing all by myself.
The problem is, it doesn't have sound/music and i know absolutely nothing about how sound works in general.

Realistically speaking, if i were to spend 12 hours a day learning chiptune, would i be able to make some decent sound effects and music for a hacking game relatively quickly?

If so, where should i start, what do i learn?

Thanks.

South Korea

I think for your needs, the best would be to download MilkyTracker (http://www.milkytracker.org/) or FamiTracker (http://famitracker.com/), install it on your computer, do a bunch of tutorials, and take it from there. That way you can get started IMMEDIATELY, at no cost, learn fairly quickly, and have a HUGE community from which to draw inspiration/steal ideas.
I think if you dedicate 12 hours a day (that is A LOT, by the way), you should be turning your ideas into actual songs in a few days time.
That's my opinion, though, and somebody else probably has better suggestions.
Welcome to chipmusic, and best of luck with your project smile

Youngstown, OH

I started writing chip with Famitracker, +1 on that recommendation. Walking through and duplicating YouTube tutorials is immediately gratifying.

Montreal, Canada

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check Famitracker out.

I'm surprised to see how active this forum is considering how underground chiptune is.

UK, Leicester

+1 famitracker b/c it's so easy to learn how to use.

Also darkshadow, chip is very underground, and that's partially why the forum is so active, if you get what I mean.

F A M I  ++++1

NC in the US of America

famitracker is nice because you don't have to worry about finding samples or anything.

canada

i think modplug tracker is maybe a simpler place to start than milkytracker

Montreal, Canada
Alpine wrote:

Also darkshadow, chip is very underground, and that's partially why the forum is so active, if you get what I mean.

Yes and now that i think of it, it does make a lot of sense.

Anyway, I'm sold, Famitracker is extremely easy to use and well documented so that's what I'm gonna use.

Youngstown, OH

Nice. I've never had much luck with modplug or milky, but for a more advanced tracker check out SunVox. Modular synthesis, sampling, and free, plus wi-fi transfer support between mobile (iOS version I think is $5) and PC versions.

Last edited by sleepytimejesse (Oct 23, 2013 6:27 pm)

UK, Leicester
wailord wrote:

I actually found it way harder to navigate, although everything is very neat, it also seems kinda tucked away, at the same time.

NC in the US of America
Alpine wrote:
wailord wrote:

I actually found it way harder to navigate, although everything is very neat, it also seems kinda tucked away, at the same time.

Also the interface isn't as stylish. It's so corporate. On the other hand it has a bunch of stuff.

Montreal, Canada

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody

I think this guy's videos are very helpful if you wanna avoid wasting months/years figuring this stuff out on your own.
I just thought I'd share cause who knows, maybe a newbie like myself is going to stumble upon this thread at some point in the future.

Last edited by xXDarkShadowXx (Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am)