Boise, ID

The battery in one of my 64mb EMS carts conked out on me after only a month of using. After replacing the battery, I would only get the error message saying the ram test failed. I tried multiple fresh batteries and always had the same problem. I eventually just gave up on it.

Tonight, a couple months later, I tried booting it with no battery inside at all, just to see what would happen. Lo and behold, there were my old songs. It's even holding fresh saves now in lsdj, all with no battery. What is going on here?

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Oct 30, 2013 12:48 am)

detroit

spooky ghosts

Boise, ID
barbeque wrote:

spooky ghosts

yikes could be

Sweeeeeeden

Get battery in there as quick as you can! There's a small capacitor which will hold a charge for some time without a battery, however it will dry up quickly. As for the RAM test failure, I've seen that happen on EMS's and I have some theories, but nothing proven.

Sweeeeeeden

Get battery in there as quick as you can! There's a small capacitor which will hold a charge for some time without a battery, however it will dry up quickly. As for the RAM test failure, I've seen that happen on EMS's and I have some theories, but nothing proven.

Michigan

Nitro just posted so urgently, he went back in time. yikes

Sweeeeeeden

Stupid database. I was about to delete one of the posts, but I'll keep them for posterity.

Boise, ID

Hehe, thanks for the warning Nitro. I put another new one in and all seems good now, after wiping the ram with something else. I just thought it was strange, how everything came back to me only without a battery in.