Toronto, Canada
boomlinde wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:

I suppose it is easier to follow the flock than to think for yourself.

Those two aren't mutually exclusive. It just so happens that humans are quite social creatures, and I don't understand why individualism is the (impossible) ideal in this matter, when you can learn from the perspectives of others.

Infinity Curve wrote:

FYI, Mixing a track properly does not = OMG da reverbz!!

Did I ever say it was? By "maybe" I mean to say that it's one of the potential outcomes besides someone saying "This sounds too good to be chip".

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish; if you are trying to create something original and innovative, or if you are just making what you think people want to hear.  This has nothing to with being social, it's about individual creation.  I would much prefer to make music I enjoy creating that only appeals to a small few  than to make stuff I feel no connection to simply because it is what sells.  If you are making art, it's about what you want to do and expressing yourself, not pandering to what people want.  Why be a follower when you can be a trailblazer? Guess it all comes down to why you do what you do.

As for the whole reverb thing, you seem to be missing the point.  Sure, if you don't know what you are doing, better to leave well enough alone, but if you can mix your track in such a way as to improve the quality of the track, why wouldn't you?  Because some people don't know what they are doing, those that do shouldn't?

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

Mixing in a daw is useful for so many reasons too!  If you like your work flow its cool.  Personally my midines is pretty old and reliably it can only play one channel at a time, i sampled all of the drums with protools and stuck em in my drum machine, so i can play leads on the other channels.  I like my work flow, and i have a bunch of hardware that would be worthless if i was trying to sound pure chip.

Sweden
Infinity Curve wrote:

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish; if you are trying to create something original and innovative, or if you are just making what you think people want to hear.

You might not outright be making what you consciously think people want to hear, but out of social conditioning you will still conform to existing musical traditions and culture. You'll never get around it.

Infinity Curve wrote:

This has nothing to with being social, it's about individual creation.  I would much prefer to make music I enjoy creating that only appeals to a small few  than to make stuff I feel no connection to simply because it is what sells.

Your music will always be compromised by your social needs, no matter what you prefer to do. This can range from, most immediately, deliberately making songs you think people want to hear to, more distantly, making songs having been part of an already strictly defined musical tradition and culture for all your life, subconsciously but obviously letting it influence your work.

Infinity Curve wrote:

If you are making art, it's about what you want to do and expressing yourself, not pandering to what people want.  Why be a follower when you can be a trailblazer? Guess it all comes down to why you do what you do.

For an advocate of non-following, you sure seem to prefer others to share your very clear-cut definition of art.

Infinity Curve wrote:

As for the whole reverb thing, you seem to be missing the point.  Sure, if you don't know what you are doing, better to leave well enough alone, but if you can mix your track in such a way as to improve the quality of the track, why wouldn't you?  Because some people don't know what they are doing, those that do shouldn't?

I'm not missing the point. I'm not saying that adding reverb to your song is a good or bad idea, nor am I saying you shouldn't do since it might turn out bad. You are obviously the one missing the point here. I explained my point in my last post.

Toronto, Canada

You're really reaching now.  It went from caring about what others think to social conditioning and sub-consciously following musical tradition?  Come on now.

Are you trolling me or what?  I can't tell if you are just being a clown or we are actually having this argument.

Sweden
Infinity Curve wrote:

It went from caring about what others think to social conditioning and sub-consciously following musical tradition?

It's not nice of you to put those things out of context in a way that make them seem irrelevant to the discussion.

Infinity Curve wrote:

I can't tell if you are just being a clown or we are actually having this argument.

From your post it would seem like this discussion is beyond actual arguments at this point.

Florida

who cares about quantifying stuff - just make whatever

NC in the US of America

I was going to say "It's up to you how much salsa or dip you want with your chips" but...

UK, Leicester

the only thing I hate about the chip scene is that when someone asks a seemingly reasonable, or innocent question, people use it as an excuse to bicker about pointless shit

NC in the US of America
Alpine wrote:

the only thing I hate about the chip scene is that when someone asks a seemingly reasonable, or innocent question, people use it as an excuse to bicker about pointless shit

I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I don't think it is really fair to attribute this to the chip scene itself. Or even chipmusic.org (cuz I know that would be next tongue)

Unsubscribe

Yea hopefully the chipscene is a tad bigger than the forty odd people who post here big_smile

BOSTON
boomlinde wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

If the music is good, the methods will be justified whatever they might be.

*Throws babies in the meat grinder for my next speedcore album*

baby-bit tune

rochester, ny

no disrespect meant to the original poster, but i have never seen anyone anywhere ever seriously have a problem with a song because it wasn't 100% "real chiptune". can anyone post a link to someone who ever posted anything like that anywhere online?

these threads come up so consistently where someone says "is it cool if my music isn't 100% lsdj?" but i've never seen someone say "HEY WAIT A MINUTE, THIS SONG HAS A MICROKORG IN THE CHORUS, FUCK THIS DUDE"

Sydney

The arguing is cute.
Thanks to everyone for commenting.
Like I said, I would never compose music just to solely impress the community, Obviously there is that hope in the back of your "Oh I hope they like this". I was by no means at all asking for peoples approval, but too contradict that I am glad everyone agrees that it is still chip, so thank you.

I love and appreciate everyone for commenting.

Thanks

EVE-X