datawave wrote:

I'd probably say Renoise is not very good to start on..

Renoise was the first tracker I really started using. It was a little different around 2007-2008, but for the most part it was ok for learning the basics of tracking and later on I started to learn about automation and stuff.

The only really confusing part is maybe mixing in renoise. You have to know about compressors and stuff and even today I'm simply trash when it comes to making songs sound nice and polished in renoise.

Me, personally, I'd say something like GoatTracker would be a pain to start with.

Nottingham, UK
barbeque wrote:
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

I'd say beepola, not because it's hard, but because if you don't know how to use it you'll quickly deafen people.

beepola is sooooo simple tho

I don't think you read what I wrote.:P

herr_prof wrote:

LSDJ has a smoother transition to Ableton Live than to any tracker.

LSDJ Clicked for me when I realised that Live mode is the clip view and song mode is the arrange view.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Oct 31, 2013 11:22 pm)

detroit
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:
barbeque wrote:

beepola is sooooo simple tho

I don't think you read what I wrote.:P

but I did. It's very easy to make listenable (for 1bit) tones out of that tracker. it also depends entirely on what engine you're using.

montreal, qc

OpenMPT

Alpine wrote:

lsdj if you don't watch tutorials

piggy if you don't use/ have never used lsdj

yeh.

Unsubscribe

Is there any tracker you can use without the manual?

San Francisco

wow you guys are choosing some really documented ones. those all seem pretty easy to me. the one i always thought was way not beginner level was goat tracker. The sparse interface wasn't one that I would call intuitive at all as there is literally no clues or help in the program itself. still to this day I have not managed to get one sound out of that thing.  LSDJ was really intuitive for me cuz i mean... there just isn't that much there. anytime you push a button something happens. I never got that with goatracker. adlib tracker is all in the function buttons and there is even a nice help button for quick references. renoise is one that i clicked with right away too but that was several years and versions ago.

Its all about what you kinda know going in too tho. I tend to read/lookup navigation keys and usually that is enough for me to go off of and get started.

Tucson, AZ

Defmon

Dallas, Texas
Nullsleep wrote:

Defmon

+1

NTRQ without manual!

UK, Leicester
ilkae wrote:

OpenMPT

+1

herr_prof wrote:

famitracker, 'cept note commands

Czech Republic
arlen wrote:

Me, personally, I'd say something like GoatTracker would be a pain to start with.

I think GoatTracker has great Help included.

herr_prof wrote:

well s3m/it and clones has the manual built in

England
ryba wrote:
arlen wrote:

I think GoatTracker has great Help included.

Is this just maybe related to C64 sound fun being confusing to start with?

i once tried running protracker on an atari 65xe (via sio2sd) and could barely get it to make any sound.. it didn't help that all the manuals i could find were in polish. probably has more to do with my lack of expertise tho, rather than a problem with the tracker.. maybe..

Joliette, QC, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

If you ever used YMvst I will say Musicmon on ST !