Hey guys, I barely ever post but I though I should ask. I use monotribe very often, even just to add to my already finished songs, I love the device. Anyways, I have googled pretty massively and I haven't found if there's a way to plug in a cheap microphone into the audio in, and filter that way? I try and I fail, I am not the smartest technology wise, am I doing something wrong? the mic is a cheap samson 1\8 jack I was given by my buddy. I plug it into the audio in of the monotribe, turn the mic on, and try to filter my vocals, but I dont even hear my voice, I was wondering if it had to do anything with like phantom power lacking or some shit idk.

Any advice helps! Thank you chipmusic!

reject of nintendoage

use the effect send of your mixer to send stuff into the monotribe's input.  Experiment with all kinds of stuff thrown in there. suboctaves and longer harmonies from the gb are cool when put through the mt's filter!

Sweeeeeeden

The microphone is likely an electret microphone which needs to be biased, meaning it needs a voltage across it. Your laptop does this by default, but Monotribe probably doesn't.
You could look here for example:

http://circuit-diagram.hqew.net/Battery … _2671.html

That circuit is a bit overkill. you can simplify it as follows: Leave out everything except R5 and C1. Connect the other terminal of the capacitor to the output, ie the tip of the jack.
R5 should be something between 4.7k and 10k.
Vcc is the positive terminal of some battery arrangement such as 3-4 AA batteries in series, or one 9V battery. The negative battery terminal goes to ground.
C1 should be something between 1 uF and 4.7 uF. The positive side of the capacitor should be connected "up", and the negative side "down", ie to the output.

Or connect it through the mixer. That's totally cool as well.

Oh and this might be if interest as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXYdeTpeosw

nitro2k01 wrote:

The microphone is likely an electret microphone which needs to be biased, meaning it needs a voltage across it. Your laptop does this by default, but Monotribe probably doesn't.
You could look here for example:

http://circuit-diagram.hqew.net/Battery … _2671.html

That circuit is a bit overkill. you can simplify it as follows: Leave out everything except R5 and C1. Connect the other terminal of the capacitor to the output, ie the tip of the jack.
R5 should be something between 4.7k and 10k.
Vcc is the positive terminal of some battery arrangement such as 3-4 AA batteries in series, or one 9V battery. The negative battery terminal goes to ground.
C1 should be something between 1 uF and 4.7 uF. The positive side of the capacitor should be connected "up", and the negative side "down", ie to the output.

Or connect it through the mixer. That's totally cool as well.

Oh and this might be if interest as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXYdeTpeosw

Thank you so much Nitro, I'm going to give this is a go, and I'll see, yeah a mixer would probably make a lot of sense anyways. I understand why now why it just didn't work with the mic in the audio in,, again, thanks, will give an update in a few weeks!

shizcake wrote:

use the effect send of your mixer to send stuff into the monotribe's input.  Experiment with all kinds of stuff thrown in there. suboctaves and longer harmonies from the gb are cool when put through the mt's filter!

did not see this post. thank you as well! I have already learned from Nitro's tutorial from syncing gameboy signals to the monotribe, I believe it was nitro, or was it lazerbeat, no it was nitro I'm sure. either way, so much fun for live performance!

Unfortunately, the Monotribe isn't the best choice for external filtering. It only passes an external signal through when the synthesizer's gate is open (when you're playing a note). There's some kind of workaround that tunes the synth past audible range or something, but it doesn't sound perfect. Other than that, you're looking at internal modifications.

Best bet is to just go out and buy a Monotron. Slightly noisier, but otherwise the same filter circuit and much better suited for use as an effect.

reject of nintendoage

well..the vco-off mod is really easy and sequenced filters with keytracking are pretty awesome smile
problem is you'd have to drill a hole for a switch or sacrifice one of the waveforms.