Unsubscribe

hiphop: old funk records
trap: samples of old drum machines pitch shifted
dubstep: teen girl's money.

Maine

lolz

Toronto, Canada

So if it isn't using old funk records, it isn't hiphop?  If you synthesize drum sounds versus using manipulated samples, it isn't trap?

To me a genre is defined by the way it sounds, not the tools used to create it.

Last edited by Infinity Curve (Nov 14, 2013 7:18 pm)

Unsubscribe

Yea.

Solar System

You can use FM samples  for example and track whole song withouth any FM vst,synth/keyboard,soundchip in your fav music tracker, sequencer etc etc. Just use FM samples...

Last edited by Matej (Nov 14, 2013 10:52 pm)

Solar System

Ahh. I will do my own FMYNTH tracks... Just for fun!
I don´t want waste my time reading endless comments that "I can't do" or "I can´t create new genre"...
Or "you can not use FM instruments for typical sound"... I have really no time for that...
Haters will hates it even when FMYNTH will evolves into perfect musical style.
So people who likes whole idea behind FMYNTH (with typical FM instruments for melody) or people having new SONGs or new DEMOs for release (here or on my fmsynthesis.com). Send me please PM!

Last edited by Matej (Nov 14, 2013 11:39 pm)

Solar System

smile

Last edited by Matej (Nov 14, 2013 11:29 pm)

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 11:01 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

I just feel like setting out to make a genre instead of just making music is a fundamentally flawed approach.  Put on top of that that genre and the means of production are just different, and this is just silly.  I like FM a lot, and this is still silly.  I also like peanut butter a lot, but I'm not starting a new genre of cooking where I make 3 course meals out of only peanut butter.  FM is another tool in the toolbox, just like any other musical tool.  You don't have to start a movement for everything you like, it's okay to just like things.

Solar System
Mrwimmer wrote:

I just feel like setting out to make a genre instead of just making music is a fundamentally flawed approach.  Put on top of that that genre and the means of production are just different, and this is just silly.  I like FM a lot, and this is still silly.  I also like peanut butter a lot, but I'm not starting a new genre of cooking where I make 3 course meals out of only peanut butter.  FM is another tool in the toolbox, just like any other musical tool.  You don't have to start a movement for everything you like, it's okay to just like things.

I had already started DUBSTEP TRANCE movement 5 years ago...So it is possible to start new music subgenre... smile I am not talking about movement since there will be like 2 or 4 FMYNTH composers at the very beginning...

What books says about music genres:
"Among the criteria often used to classify musical genres are: the trichotomy of art, popular and traditional; time period; regional and national origins; technique and instrumentation; fusional origins; and social function."

So "tools" aka instruments can define music genre... Chipmusic is defined by SOUNDCHIPS (SID, POKEY, 2A03 etc) or VSTs which emulate/sounds similar to such soundchips... Or samples of that soundchips.
So what are you talking about?

Last edited by Matej (Nov 15, 2013 10:05 am)

Manchester, UK
Matej wrote:

What books says about music genres:
"Among the criteria often used to classify musical genres are: the trichotomy of art, popular and traditional; time period; regional and national origins; technique and instrumentation; fusional origins; and social function."

I think that agrees with everyone other than you, bro big_smile They've listed loads of things that are used to classify genres, and nowhere does it say that only ONE of those criteria are used. Not to mention it says "among the criteria..." which means there are more, including rhythmic features, percussion style, typical tempo, etc etc. I think the point is that most, if not all, of these things should be used to classify a genre. It pretty much highlights why using just ONE criteria (criterium?) is a bad idea.

NC in the US of America

You are singling out a single element in that whole list of criteria used to classify genres and making it seem as though that one thing is the only criteria that matters tongue

dude just make the music, haha. Forget about whatever this thread has turned into and just make music smile

Dallas, Texas

Acid house needs a TB-303 to or at the very least an SH-101 to be actual acid (it's debatable I know tongue), because take away the TB-303 and keep the song structure the same, and you just have house left.  So, I don't personally see the problem with FM synthesis being a defining factor of a subgenre. But I think the distinction should be made that tempo, mood, tone, and song structure have more barring on what defines an actual genre in my mind at least. Also don't be upset when not as many people see your vision and it evolves into something different without your control.

On a more light hearted note, you should try to make some FMYNTH that sound like 'Richard Devine - Corina Chirac'  That would be sweet.

Solar System
godinpants wrote:
chunter wrote:

FM sounds thin and brittle, so it's hard to make good leads.

sad

Are you sure? You probably know absolutely nothing about typical modern FM leads...
FM8 tutorial... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZAsbBL8ug

Maine

yea fm is pretty fudgin dope if you ask me although i dont use it ever because 90% of what i write is in either famitracker or ntrq

Solar System

smile

Last edited by Matej (Nov 15, 2013 11:02 am)