buffalo, NY

Turned out pretty good.  Just a couple minor gaffes, sentences that start awkwardly, "Atari Amiga", but otherwise came out nicely.  I really only speak from anecdotal experience so your mileage with chipmusic may vary.  Hopefully it might make you think about your craft in a different light, or be an easily digestible primer to show the uninitiated.

Very nice!

Iowa

Great I was waiting to see this video! smile

bed

Really great presentation. Loved me them sweet shreds! wink

matt's mind

i've heard crazy stuff about TED

did they make you do their week-long training retreat before you gave your presentation?  and, did they let you interact with the outside world much during this?

perhaps TEDx and the main TED work differently

congrats though!  don't mean to sound like a conspiracy person...  just wanted to validate this from the joe rogan show

Rhode Island

Very nicely done! You hit upon a lot of great topics as well as ideas and ended with a terrific insight: putting the time into something you really are passionate about to understand it on all levels truly makes you a master of your craft.

buffalo, NY
kitsch wrote:

i've heard crazy stuff about TED

did they make you do their week-long training retreat before you gave your presentation?  and, did they let you interact with the outside world much during this?

perhaps TEDx and the main TED work differently

congrats though!  don't mean to sound like a conspiracy person...  just wanted to validate this from the joe rogan show

They are a little different.  I had about 4 group meetings beforehand where we would present various stages of our idea, and then the staff would critique us.  Example: "Ok, so I'm a writer, does this mean I should start using a typewriter?".  They also linked me to various other videos and had a 5 page PDF about what I can say/not say.  Examples include pseudoscience, pushing books or products etc.

Outside of the group meetings, one of the staff members was one of my personal coach who I met with several times and he gave me more feedback.  I actually sent him some humble private videos of my rough presentation and had him critique various sections.  The whole process took about 2+ months and around 100 hours of work.  I didn't have to do that much, but you get what you put into it you know?

Abandoned on Fire

Watched this during my lunch break, well done!  Definitely an excellent introduction to the chipmusic as a concept/medium!

Maine

i really like the fact that you explained how presets in music and photo editing ruin the learning process of mastering those disciplines. about 8 years ago i started using fl studio to compose tracks and i noticed after a year or so everything i was doing involved some sort of preset to create an outcome i didnt fully understand and that bothered me and then i became aware of tracker software and i taught myself about signal processing and what the effect commands actually do (tho i might say i am no expert by any means).....etc which eventually lead me to writing chiptune. as for the photo editing part ive been photo editing since i was a child on my first ibm and ive gotten to know the processes rather intimately from a different stand point of where photoshop and other programs have taken us today. its hard to come across a edited non-professional picture nowadays that isnt hit with something like instagram filters or has been edited in picsart that doesnt have preset filters right from someones phone (although i do like picsart it has a very robust interface and parameters that can be fine tweaked)..this video honestly hit a soft chord in my heart because i completely know where you are coming from.. im glad you got to do this and promote the scene in a positive light... good work man

Last edited by Puke_Flytalker (Nov 15, 2013 8:14 pm)

wow!!! a chip music ted talk, so cool. ted is my fav organization.

buffalo, NY

I wanted to use content aware fill in Photoshop as an example, but I thought it was a little too complex of an example, and time was definitely an issue.

Solar System

Very nice and nice live act!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Really enjoyed it. You pointed out something that IMO is a driving force with the whole of retro-computing/Arduino DIY, and chiptunes in particular.
I use spell check every day, but I'm not a better speller for it, just lazzyier!
Yogi wink

Youngstown, OH

God I wish I wasn't writing a paper right now so I could sit and watch this. Awesome on the amount of prep time, I'm certain it showed.

Mexico City

Next month I'll be playing in Mexico City

awww yeah, we'll put the smasher slider up to eleven

Maine

lolz "smasher" fader