Want to fit a 3.7v lithium polymer batter and charge circuit to one of my pockets. Would this work:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/lipo-battery-and-charger

I have heard that to fit li po id have to get rid of the capacitors on the rear of the board. Which?

Any help would be great?

Michigan

Remove why?

Medina, Ohio

Well that battery is really low in mAh (mili-amp-hours)  and won't last long on a charge. Here is a more sufficient battery, but it may be too big:

http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i … isted.aspx

Another one, that is a bit smaller, and not as large mAh:

http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i … isted.aspx

Now this is a raw battery, so you need to buy the protection circuit and charger as well:

http://www.batteryspace.com/customizesm … isted.aspx

http://www.batteryspace.com/PCB-for-3.7 … limit.aspx

Taichung, Taiwan

There was a post about someone use Li-Ion AAA batteries either her or on 8BC back in the day that were hooked up in series. I think you had to add a few things to the circuit and desolder a few things, run some jumper wires and you're gravy.

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Remove why?

To my understanding the 64M EMS carts on a MGB drain the regular batteries quick (~15-minutes). A fix to this would be using batteries with more juice.

katsumbhong wrote:

To my understanding the 64M EMS carts on a MGB drain the regular batteries quick (~15-minutes). A fix to this would be using batteries with more juice.

Not quite true, most "newer" 64M carts work just fine, it had to do with earlier versions of the cart not drawing power correctly. I think it may be worthwhile at some point to survey the cart revision numbers like we have the DMG CPU's to see where the discrepancies are.

Taichung, Taiwan
thebitman wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

Not quite true, most "newer" 64M carts work just fine, it had to do with earlier versions of the cart not drawing power correctly. I think it may be worthwhile at some point to survey the cart revision numbers like we have the DMG CPU's to see where the discrepancies are.

When did the switch to the newer design happen?!

Starting with carts produced in 2011 or so. It doesn't seem like it has been that long, but you have to account for the time it takes for distributors/resellers to get the carts and for people who use pockets to not-complain about them. I have owned 4 or so EMS 64M carts, 2 of which were newer and had use rivaling the Bleepbloop when I used the on GBPs. The old ones, obviously, sucked power.

I have an EMS cart and find there's no problem. I did get it this year so I guess that it's a new one but whats got to do with things?

[/quote=thebitman]

katsumbhong wrote:

"what was wrong with the DMG CPU's"?

matt's mind
thebitman wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

on the back of the cart shells the EMS carts come in, they mark the date of assembly,

the cartridges from batch "1006A" (which is June, 2010, batch A) and onwards don't seem to have pocket problems at all.  there was a batch "1006" too, this didn't get the fix

there is probably a corresponding PCB revision that goes with this, but who knows that was a while ago and they are out over the world now, might be hard to get solid info on that.  "1006A" assembly date works though, i remember when that batch came along very well

Spain

I remember selling a modded Pocket and the buyer blamed me that he had wasted too many batteries on it. Turned out he had the older version of the EMS cart. I even contacted ASM to ask if it was an issue with the LEDx3 panel. Fun times.

Czech republic
z20leh wrote:

Want to fit a 3.7v lithium polymer batter and charge circuit to one of my pockets.

I've done this:

I used lipo similar to this and this as charging circuit.

I had to move a few caps elsewhere because of space constraints but it all depends on what kind of battery you get. There is also some dremel work to be done.
The battery life is surprisingly good and I don't have any problems with EMS + MGB anymore.

Does that lipo mod last longer or shorter than your run of the mill aaa's?

Minneapolis
sunsp0t wrote:

Does that lipo mod last longer or shorter than your run of the mill aaa's?

Well, seeing as the average AAA battery has a typical rating of 850-1200 mAh, and the lipo has a rating of about 600 mAh, I'd say it's maybe less.

Last edited by arfink (Nov 16, 2013 2:13 am)