Melbourne, Australia

https://soundcloud.com/the_user5/slack
Not overly proud of the song structure in this one, but would still like some feedback on the sound design! tongue Tips, hints, observations, anything will be incredibly useful! Thanks! big_smile

Mannheim, Germany

it works well. every voice is clearly distinguished, its sufficiently fat. by standards of normal bands with drumset etc. the hihat is too loud, but its alright here. if you have the software, you could try putting some equalizer on the bass, but its not necessary.
personally, i like to put all percussion on one channel and everything else on the other one, so i can equalize the drums separately.

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah okay, I don't really have anything available for post-production stuff, so it all just has to be done on the gameboy... tongue
But thank you for the feedback, I don't really know much about drumset, but I'll look into it! big_smile Thank you!

Mannheim, Germany
Panda Chan wrote:

Yeah okay, I don't really have anything available for post-production stuff, so it all just has to be done on the gameboy... tongue
But thank you for the feedback, I don't really know much about drumset, but I'll look into it! big_smile Thank you!

you could achieve that with audacity, a widely used free application for audio recording (you probably already used it for recording).

the thing with the hihats really isnt that obvious, and i frequently made that mistake myself. but its definitely useful to learn the lingo. i played bass in a rock band before doing electronic music, so i kind of got a headstart on that.

keep chippin

Melbourne, Australia

I actually have to record it straight from an emulator... hmm haha tongue
Fair enough, I play bass in a band too, but we've never recorded anything, so I know nothing about drums tongue But I shall learn!
Thanks, I plan too wink

Mannheim, Germany

geez, did everyone play bass in band ??

Melbourne, Australia

From most people I talk to, it seems that everyone has/does/is learning to play bass... tongue haha
Playing bass well on the other hand.... wink

Mannheim, Germany

yeah, very often its a "you cant play an instrument? here take the bass its easy" or "worst guitar player gets the bass" kind of thing. playing interesting bass parts is indeed hard, though

Melbourne, Australia

Worst guitarist plays bass and/or worst bass player plays drums... ahaha wink
Oh yeah, totally agree with that! Tried learning some Jaco Pastorius pieces for my music exams this year... that was quite a challenge to say the least tongue

Mannheim, Germany

pastorius is INSANE. id have gone with some simpler funk lines, because i like things that make you dance... pastorius probably sounds better by itself, though.

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah, I play simpler stuff for fun, but the music course I did was really classical based, and the standard they set for bass was really high for some reason... hmm

...way off topic, but anyway tongue haha

Mannheim, Germany

i enjoy bass talk

thats weird, as far as i know bass lines in classical pieces are extra simpel. but maybe thats just orchestra pieces.

Melbourne, Australia

me too tongue
Yeah, but the course is really aimed at classical music in other instruments (mostly piano, and traditional orchestral instruments). So, for bass you just had to play music that was "really difficult"... wink