rochester, ny
J. Arthur Keenes wrote:
thing wrote:

“The original sound output that’s on it is… it sounds awful,” said Maynard. “You install this [the new output] and it sounds a lot louder. It’s clearer; the tone is bassier. It sounds like a professional synthesizer.”

I thought that was a bit much, the original output sounds fine, the mod just removes a slight hiss (maybe your gameboy had an unusually shitty output?).  The music is good, but it sounds A LOT like Anamanaguchi to me, I would encourage you to strive for a more unique sound.

first, the guy that interviewed us knew NOTHING about chip music before he met us so i kept feeling this weird pressure to over-explain everything. i also felt this urge to justify the mods. so, maybe i went a little overboard.

but i also really do feel that the pro sound output sounds much better than the original. and i don't even remember saying "It sounds like a professional synthesizer". that doesn't sound like me.

as far as the anamanaguchi thing goes, they're the first chip band i ever got into, so there's going to be a certain amount of influence there, for sure. and i think that 'sky city' song in the video is probably the most similar to them that we get. but we have 8 other songs that i think sound nothing like them, aside from the fact we also have an NES + rock band set up.

we only put the video and mp3 up to give people an idea what we're like. our newest songs (the songs that will make up our first release) sound NOTHING like anamanaguchi and i'm really proud of them. we'll probably be recording in a month or two.

and thanks for listening and giving your thoughts. i'm a big fan and your criticism honestly means a lot.

rochester, ny
noisewaves wrote:

"Sporting tattoos and Marvel T-shirts"......

There's something oddly familiar about this....

i fight dragons wear DC t-shirts. big difference!

but seriously, it's not like we each put on different ones specifically for a show. i just happened to be wearing one that day. i think jim had a blue hoodie on and bc had some baseball shirt on.

Chicago IL

oh man i'm gonna talk about chipmusic.org everytime i do something so i have a reason to link to it here

Bristol

pretty nice article. The guy seems to at least care about the music and the way its made, not a bad thing at all.

Athens, Greece
Saskrotch wrote:

oh man i'm gonna talk about chipmusic.org everytime i do something so i have a reason to link to it here

genious

brighton, uk

anamanagouchey

Last edited by CMDR (Apr 12, 2010 1:47 pm)

Unsubscribe

Kudos to suriving your first interview.Dont worry about fact checking.. as long as your band sounds interesting!

Washington DC

That was a pretty sweet article tbh. It felt like an actual piece about a band an not just "lol those crazzy kids and their bleepy bloops!"

Also don't listen to that arlen guy, he can't read anyway. wink

rochester, ny
Dauragon wrote:

That was a pretty sweet article tbh. It felt like an actual piece about a band an not just "lol those crazzy kids and their bleepy bloops!"

yeah! the guy basically said that when he 'got the assignment', he just assumed we were a joke. he actually includes that in the article - "Such an abstract musical addition might deliver images of floormates beeping buttons in unison in a sweaty Computer Science floor lounge".

i'm actually kind of proud that we were able to convince him that this was a legitimate genre of music and not just, as you say, "crazy kids and their bleepy bloops".

i was also really impressed that the guy went out and did as much research as he did. i glossed over a lot of the lsdj details and didn't really say anything about anamanaguchi, but this dude obviously hit google hard, and that's really cool of him. it's funny because when he asked us about similar artists or influences, i think i said anamanaguchi in a list of like, 10 band names and then talked about new found glory and drive thru records for like 5 minutes, but none of that made it in to the article. it's funny how interviews work.

but yeah, the dude did a better job than i expected.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
J. Arthur Keenes wrote:
thing wrote:

“The original sound output that’s on it is… it sounds awful,” said Maynard. “You install this [the new output] and it sounds a lot louder. It’s clearer; the tone is bassier. It sounds like a professional synthesizer.”

I thought that was a bit much, the original output sounds fine, the mod just removes a slight hiss (maybe your gameboy had an unusually shitty output?).  The music is good, but it sounds A LOT like Anamanaguchi to me, I would encourage you to strive for a more unique sound.

i want to get a little distracted here, octavial silver and myself have jammed on his dmg's without pro sound mods and the problems with the original jack can be easily fixed when plugged into a mixer.  So i agree its not essential and the guy does make an emphasis on modding, but its not a big deal, congrats on the interview, the ultimate goal should be to enjoy yourself.