SLC, UT

Oh okay, that makes sense. I wasn't saying anything about the Mac mini, just the iMac. I must not have been clear, I wouldn't say the iMac is portable, just very much more portable than you'd think it is. The boxes they come in are relatively easy to repack for transportation as well.

But I've already poured way too much effort into this thread for something that is entirely inconsequential.

Litebritedeath Land

@stargazer no I totally got your angle on things as well and agree that Apples packaging makes for a great transport until you find something with a little more protection.  Honestly if they offered iMacs with a smaller screen I would be all over one for my purposes.  The mini gives me the option to vary my screen size and that's the only reason I'm leaning towards it over an iMac.

Litebritedeath Land

Just as an after thought I think we electronic musicians are a little spoiled by the size of our gear and portability factor.  A full sized desktop with a monitor and accessories is still easier to haul to a gig than a drum kit or a guitar, amp, and effects board.  wink

Finland
KeFF wrote:

I have 13" macbook air, been using it with maschine and works like a charm. Never had any problems, although my projects are always quite light. It's awesome to carry around to gigs. Audio in would be nice from time to time.

You do know that audio jack works as input too? And really, get a usb audio interface. On PA you really do notice the difference.

Riverside, CA
sxe_weekend wrote:

If you don't like apple offer a windows laptop you think would work well

Don't buy Windows laptops.
OP get a Bonobo Extreme from System76 or something.

Dallas, Texas
The Silph Scope wrote:
sxe_weekend wrote:

If you don't like apple offer a windows laptop you think would work well

wow, first I thought your 'don't buy apple' comment was unhelpful but this just seems like its getting worse. Your position seems to be "Don't buy apple. Don't buy windows. You should get what I like cause I like it."  Why would he buy a linux machine when he specifically want to run Ableton Live? If you don't care to use apple computers yourself then ok. But steering someone else astray just because of your own personal prejudices is miles away from being helpful. Sure I bet theres a way to get live running but at what cost? Time, effort, compromise, CPU, cash?

When an individual asks for a new Nintendo platform to try and learn do you then recommend a ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64? I wouldn't imagine so. Same thing here.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Nov 23, 2013 7:15 am)

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

I was raised on apple computers, the years i spent ruining pc's was a waste of my life.  The inevitable return to the apple was long over due, dont let people talk you out of it.  Yes it cost more, but for me since i got a mac again i havn't had any computer issues, and all of my DAW's work without any issues.

Turku, FIN
DKSTR wrote:
KeFF wrote:

I have 13" macbook air, been using it with maschine and works like a charm. Never had any problems, although my projects are always quite light. It's awesome to carry around to gigs. Audio in would be nice from time to time.

You do know that audio jack works as input too? And really, get a usb audio interface. On PA you really do notice the difference.

Yes, and yes, been just too poor to buy something i can live without!

Litebritedeath Land
TylerBarnes wrote:
The Silph Scope wrote:

wow, first I thought your 'don't buy apple' comment was unhelpful but this just seems like its getting worse. Your position seems to be "Don't buy apple. Don't buy windows. You should get what I like cause I like it."  Why would he buy a linux machine when he specifically want to run Ableton Live? If you don't care to use apple computers yourself then ok. But steering someone else astray just because of your own personal prejudices is miles away from being helpful. Sure I bet theres a way to get live running but at what cost? Time, effort, compromise, CPU, cash?

When an individual asks for a new Nintendo platform to try and learn do you then recommend a ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64? I wouldn't imagine so. Same thing here.

I thought exactly the same thing...  "Or something" really tipped the I'm speaking as a total fanboy and could care less about what you are trying to accomplish scale.  I even looked into his suggestion and only found people with issues and suggesting to others to duel boot or run windows in Wine.

Litebritedeath Land
DJCactus wrote:

I was raised on apple computers, the years i spent ruining pc's was a waste of my life.  The inevitable return to the apple was long over due, dont let people talk you out of it.  Yes it cost more, but for me since i got a mac again i havn't had any computer issues, and all of my DAW's work without any issues.

I heart apple honestly but not to the rabid scale some people have for their brand of choice.  I cringe when I see people suggesting android tablets over apple for music production.  Yes they are great for general use but can't touch the creative end of the spectrum.

Last edited by sxe_weekend (Nov 23, 2013 3:33 pm)

Here's the portability bottom line for iMacs: yes it's large but yes it's one piece. not sure if haul it to gigs, might be too sketchy. can also replace the ram in it yourself. Mac minis are the best way to get a high powered Mac for the least money possible. Upgrading the ram etc yourself also saves you a huge amount.

Corsair makes great 1600mhz ram that works perfect with Mac (note not the Mac memory the specifically sell, I can get you part number if you want)

Also no DVD drive in pretty much any new Mac so if you plan to dual boot (boot camp etc) you will want one. They are super good little drives for 80$ the apple displays are very nice but I would wait one more generation of Thunderbolt Display until they are laminated like the imac displays (there is air gap between LCD and glass known to have debris issues even from factory and this also cause like a weird double glare)

Litebritedeath Land
12ianma wrote:

Here's the portability bottom line for iMacs: yes it's large but yes it's one piece. not sure if haul it to gigs, might be too sketchy. can also replace the ram in it yourself. Mac minis are the best way to get a high powered Mac for the least money possible. Upgrading the ram etc yourself also saves you a huge amount.

Corsair makes great 1600mhz ram that works perfect with Mac (note not the Mac memory the specifically sell, I can get you part number if you want)

Also no DVD drive in pretty much any new Mac so if you plan to dual boot (boot camp etc) you will want one. They are super good little drives for 80$ the apple displays are very nice but I would wait one more generation of Thunderbolt Display until they are laminated like the imac displays (there is air gap between LCD and glass known to have debris issues even from factory and this also cause like a weird double glare)

I noticed all the issues with the current Thunderbolt Display Apple sells as well.  Have any recommendations for a good alternative?  Also please do get me the parts number for the ram as I plan on maxing it out myself on the Mac mini.

What is the max amount of ram the mini can take? And number of slots for the ram.

LG makes a killer display, as does samsung. You can also use an iMac as a thunderbolt driven display if you want the newer laminate style.

I would honestly go for a regular display over a thunderbolt one as it's more versatile. Plus like 1/3 the cost

Taichung, Taiwan
12ianma wrote:

What is the max amount of ram the mini can take? And number of slots for the ram.

LG makes a killer display, as does samsung. You can also use an iMac as a thunderbolt driven display if you want the newer laminate style.

I would honestly go for a regular display over a thunderbolt one as it's more versatile. Plus like 1/3 the cost

2012 models 16GB, 2x 8GB sticks.
2010-2011 are reported to take the same amount as well.

Litebritedeath Land

thanks katsumbhong for posting that info so I did not have to find it!  @12ianma yeah I just want to go with a nice non apple display for my macmini right now.  As you stated it's a lot cheaper and I would rather just wait for a proper updated thunderbolt display in the future if I feel the need for one.  A nice LG or Samsung will do just fine for the time being.  Any suggestions on models?  Sorry if this all sounds like something I should already know.  I live in midwestern KS so I don't have the luxury of going into a store and looking at models on display so peoples input is important in my case.

Taichung, Taiwan

If you do plan on getting a Mac Mini new, I do suggest getting one with an i7 Intel processor with no extras. You can upgrade the RAM and add a 2nd HDD/SSD yourself for much cheaper. Prior to upgrading the RAM, make sure you get the correct "type."