Unsubscribe

Wasnt there a default sample set in the snes dev kit? It would at least explain the sameyness of lots of the soundtracks to me.

matt's mind

cTrix & ferris.....   

you have all my attention

whatever it is you're cooking, i'm ready

Arizona

What kind of sample quality are we talking about on the SNES? Would it be relatively low like in LSDJ or on the NES?

Unsubscribe

No its much better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_S-SMP

The capabilities of the SPC700 DSP in the SNES sound system allow for music synthesis by samples (analogous to MOD or IT music formats), allowing long stretches of audio to be produced from only 64 kilobytes of data.

The chip produces 16-bit sound at 32 kHz, but SPC700 emulators generally can be reconfigured to output at a different sampling rate (from 8 to 48 kHz).

Arizona
herr_prof wrote:

No its much better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_S-SMP

The capabilities of the SPC700 DSP in the SNES sound system allow for music synthesis by samples (analogous to MOD or IT music formats), allowing long stretches of audio to be produced from only 64 kilobytes of data.

The chip produces 16-bit sound at 32 kHz, but SPC700 emulators generally can be reconfigured to output at a different sampling rate (from 8 to 48 kHz).

Very cool thanks. I think it would be great tool to sync with a GB setup but I'm probably getting a bit too far ahead here.

Matthew Joseph Payne
kitsch wrote:

cTrix & ferris.....   

2nded

ctrix's explanation of why you wouldn't want to write music on-console makes perfect sense, thank you! I'd still really hope for a good playback interface for the dang thing on-console, I hope that's in the cards! Ability to switch between sections, adjust perameters, whatever, while playing. And maybe sync of some kind.

But! I'm just excited that something is happening at all! Thank you guys!

rochester, ny
herr_prof wrote:

Wasnt there a default sample set in the snes dev kit? It would at least explain the sameyness of lots of the soundtracks to me.

i feel like i remember neil baldwin saying that wasn't the case in one of these threads somewhere. or at least, that he didn't receive one.

Gosford, Australia
nickmaynard wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

i feel like i remember neil baldwin saying that wasn't the case in one of these threads somewhere. or at least, that he didn't receive one.

pretty much!

Unsubscribe

Well they have other reasons for sucking then big_smile

Canada

Damn now I'm excited. I've been using modplug for a while.
Hopefully these developments allow for xm>spc workflows/players like NES's powerpak nsf and Genesis's deadfish with mega everdrive. I'd love to be able to have my modplug tunes show up somehow on snes in the future.

Excited, guys!

Oslo

cool to see some interest ^^ I won't spill the beans too much about this stuff yet, but, I'll say it's going extremely well and I think it will be quite useful.

Also, Jansaw, a tool for straight xm->spc conversion does already exist, called XMSNES. I can't remember where I found the binary, but it wasn't that long ago, so a little patience might help you there smile Won't give you access to any of the more interesting snes-specific features, tho.. wink

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 10:51 pm)

Australia
kineticturtle wrote:
kitsch wrote:

cTrix & ferris.....   

ctrix's explanation of why you wouldn't want to write music on-console makes perfect sense, thank you! I'd still really hope for a good playback interface for the dang thing on-console, I hope that's in the cards! Ability to switch between sections, adjust perameters, whatever, while playing. And maybe sync of some kind.

No comment ;-)  But sync wise... that's an interesting one.  You could make the SNES a slave by using something that interfaces with the second port.  It depends how often the controller ports are scanned - I haven't read that part of the spec yet (Ferris?), but it would be at least at 50hz/60hz.  Which is enough to juggle the track forward / back a frame when it drifts... although ideally you'd port scan at 100hz or more to avoid audible timing shifts.  Maybe after an initial release we can look at some kind of sync support.  Got a lot of work to do until then.

Oslo
kineticturtle wrote:

...And maybe sync of some kind.

Well, I think for sync the expansion port is a bit more interesting, as it's connected to the apu clock, audio in's, a cpu interrupt, and more. But I'm more concerned about any real-time streaming between the cpu and apu, apart from what's already happening.. smile

but I won't speak on behalf of the project for another little while. I'll just say things are going well one more time ^^

Milwaukee, WI

Very interested.

Milwaukee, WI

Bump because the front page currently sucks.