Riverside, CA

so i bought this on ebay for $14.
there were some problems but i cleaned the insides and it kinda helped....
but im still having these issues:

-this constant clicking noise..... i thought it mightve been the speaker, but today i switched in a different speaker and it was still doing it sad

-its out of tune. is it a power thing? (im using batteries, not sure if the AC adapter i have would be safe to use on it...) if its not a power thing is there some bend i can do to install a fine pitch knob?

-when i hold down a note (only the last 5 white keys to the right do this) and it fades away theres this faint drone noise.... it was really bad before i cleaned it, but now its pretty quiet. whats causing this?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated big_smile

here's pic of it, i also took some of the insides if you guys wanna see....

Earthling

I don't have a PT-10, but I have other PT keyboards and they all have a tuning screw on the back. Hold a key down and turn the screw until the note is in tune.

As for the clicking noise and drone, I can only guess that it's either still dirty, somebody has tried to circuit bend it in the past and frazzled something or it's just old and worn out

Rice Lake, WI

I have a couple pt-10's and i'll just tell that they do crap out after awhile. The PT-10's were just dumbed down vl tones.

Riverside, CA

it doesnt have a tuning screw =/
is there somewhere i can slap a potentiometer to fine tune it?

York, Yorkshire

Yes, seems to be possible, I havn't found any guides but a few people have done it.  Check this.

He says on his site he's happy to share info, so you might be able to contact him through the blog or his youtube account

EDIT : According to this guy his did have a pitch pot

Upper right is the master pitch control. Basically, I replaced the tune knob that you can find on the bottom of most older casio with a pot of much higher value.

EDIT 2 : Inside, lower right corner according to this

Last edited by BitPop (Feb 2, 2010 10:56 am)

astral cat

my pt-10 just died one day, now it doesn't turn on, stuff like this happens man, just buy another one they're well cheap!

York, Yorkshire

This has got me thinking about the MT-100 I have kicking around somewhere!  Put it up in the attic decades ago in it's travel case...probably still mint big_smile

Riverside, CA

thanks a ton for the links bitpop!
i sent the guy on youtube a message, hopefully he'll get back to me soon.....

York, Yorkshire

Just curious, how did you get on with this?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

1. why did you pay $14 for a PT-10 on eBay
2. Batteries play a big role in tuning. Are your batteries new?
3. noise is to be expected.. If you really want to get fancy. try replacing the electrolitics inside it although i doubt that will help.
4. your contacts might be cleaned as good as they can but higher frequencies are simply higher playback speed of the sample. You might not be able to get rid of that noise.

Embrace the PT-10 for everything that it is. smile it's a VL-tone w/o the ADSR... i have like 4-5 of these. and i love them. I find them at thrift stores all the time for like. 1.69. and i never pass them up. hahaha

Keep an eye out at thrift stores for these and try not to buy them on ebay. you're only going to pay about 3-4 times what they're worth there.

Last edited by low-gain (Apr 12, 2010 2:48 pm)

Riverside, CA

i talked to that youtube guy, he was VERY helpful and nice smile
i remember he told me that if i were to put in the audio out that id have to put a resistance in there.
havent gotten around to that yet.

1. i know it was much for the keyboard but after seeing them go for $50 on ebay i thought id just settle on this.
2. no they were ones from one of my dmgs. next time i buy new batteries ill try em in here.

well if there isnt anything i can do about the popping, then oh well =/
ive just gotten used to it haha
but itd be nice if i could get rid of it so i can use this bad boy for shows.

thanks logan, i appreciate the help big_smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

yeah. toss a 10ohm resistor across the tip of your output and ground.