Unsubscribe

I accepted 13 records for a $1 from Columbia house, and let me tell you this: NEVER AGAIN.

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 10:51 pm)

Milwaukee, WI
herr_prof wrote:

I accepted 13 records for a $1 from Columbia house, and let me tell you this: NEVER AGAIN.

I laughed. I then realized I'm old.

MA

Sometimes I'd hope to get signed but other times [Like you] I'd like to just give my music out for free for people to enjoy
and I'm terrible at remembering stuff and I'm a slow worker/big procrastinator
I've made 1 remix, got to make songs for a compilation album, and I'm working on an album [all of this should of been done a few months ago, other than the remix, that's the most recent thing I asked of doing]

yes, but only for the sake of being able to tour more frequently, and having better shows with all the props and crazy stuff I always couldn't afford, or make out of cardboard.

Seattle, WA US
shitbird wrote:

yes, but only for the sake of being able to tour more frequently, and having better shows with all the props and crazy stuff I always couldn't afford, or make out of cardboard.

Oklahoma City, OK

Personally, I'm trying to do most of my promotion/show booking/composing(obviously)/record production/everything basically, as DIY.

If a record label offered me a contract to sign with them, then they would have to a trustworthy label that has their interests in promoting me and my music and image, what have you, and not some greedy corporate pigs that want to use me to make a bunch of money.

I'm getting better at writing more frequently, and I've learned that working towards a deadline can actually help with this in some cases, though it depends on the situation of course. I would not be opposed to doing something like: 2 full lengths in 3 years with consistent touring and getting paid a reasonable amount to do so. And, like defPREMIUM said, as long as the label making the offer is genuinely interested in ME and My Music and interested in helping me grow as an artist (kind of like a mentor of sorts), then they have my attention and would be willing to negotiate a deal.

Until that day comes, I'm staying DIY as much as possible. Thankfully, with websites like this one, ucollective, noise channel, soundcloud, bandcamp, and the internet in general, it has been easier to get your music across to the general public than it used to be. So, we'll see!

nah you'd all sell out

Madriz, Supain

I dont understand the thread. Why wouldnt you accept a record deal?

in the worst case scenario you're still using internet to promote yourself but some guy somewhere is selling phisical copies of it.

Lun-dun
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

in the worst case scenario you're still using internet to promote yourself but some guy somewhere is selling phisical copies of it.

The problem there is that the "guy somewhere" might be selling physical copies of it and you might have foolishly signed away and agreed not to see any of the money he's making from doing so.

I suppose you could argue that you're no worse off than you are now and that all publicity is good publicity etc. but there has to be a tipping point somewhere where you actually begin to gain financially from all the hard work you're doing.

its like you might be an amateur horticulturalist but not want to become a Pro Farmer because you dont want the pressure of external demands on the quality and quantity of your produce

or you might enjoy computer programming but not want a job as a programmer writing programs for other people

"worst case scenario" youre contractually obliged to produce albums you dont want to make or theres a lot of pressure on you to do certain things stylistically or you have to go on tour or you lose the rights to your own music

i would say that "you're still using internet to promote yourself but some guy somewhere is selling phisical copies of it." is probably closer to a best case than a worst case

Florida

yes but i am not marketable enough so it'll never happen
that said, my adventure game Dropsy was marketable enough to be signed by Devolver Digital, so I guess it worked out :B

Last edited by Jay Tholen (Dec 9, 2013 11:23 pm)

Madriz, Supain
simonhpieman wrote:
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

The problem there is that the "guy somewhere" might be selling physical copies of it and you might have foolishly signed away and agreed not to see any of the money he's making from doing so.

I suppose you could argue that you're no worse off than you are now and that all publicity is good publicity etc. but there has to be a tipping point somewhere where you actually begin to gain financially from all the hard work you're doing.

If youre dumb enough to agree on that maybe you'r enot smart enough to get money.

I mean, are we talking of an underground label, or SONY and EMI?
Because id sign for both. And i understand making zero money from an indie, and getting not much money from Sony. But id play more both ways.