Hi there,
              I am having difficulties with using a keyboard in LSDJ. It is very temperamental. I am using the latest version of LSDJ 4.7.3 but have tried other versions with the same results. It is a gameboy color and PS/2 keyboard.

Problem:
- The keyboard wont work unless I start the music, then change sync to keyboard even if it is already set to keyboard. I need to do this a few times before it actuall works.
- Once working it will eventually stop working then I have to go back to the sync options and change it from 'keyboard' to something else then back to 'keyboard'. This is very annoying as I have to do this ever 2 minutes or so.
- Sometimes the keyboard doesnt work correctly. Up is down, down is up, enter is up....

I have two keyboard, both with the same problems. Could it be due to the length of the cable? It is just over one meter long. I am using 5v from the GBC

When it does actually work it works great.

Any help would be great.

Is no one able to comment on this? How does other peoples keyboards function?

bed

The only advice I can offer, if you haven't done so already is try it with the latest stable release. I believe it's 4.6.9.
I don't think the cable length should be an issue, but I'm no expert. It sounds like a software issue to me.

Madriz, Supain

I literally accepted it doesnt works as it should and stopped trying. I had a cable, a good keyboard, a cord cable for the dmg (so youre not using wasted batteries) and updated lsdj, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. So, screw it.

Buffalo

yeah, i could barely get mine to work either. Ive never seen one in person that works good.

I had exactly the same issue, man.

Literally, the only thing I could think of was to use the DMG with a computer, and just run an LSDJ emulator on the PC.

Then again, I'm lazy. haha.

Thank you for your replies. I thought it must have been something I did wrong. I have wasted quite a bit of time and money on this.try to get it right. 2 keyboards, 2 cables and trying it on friends gameboys who had them stored away somewhere. I have tried version 4.6.9 but it is the same.

Is the keyboard commonly known to not work stably? I cant find any information on the net detailing this.

Seattle, WA

These keyboards are extremely temperamental. I don't think I've ever seen one work flawlessly.

I think I may have worked it out. After playing around with it again tonight I have found that if you load the track, switch off/on gameboy, start track then scroll through sync select to keyboard whilst playing the keyboard will work perfectly. This needs to be done each time you change track or the keyboard cable comes out. Id imagine there will eventually be a fix for this.

Can anyone else comment if this method works for them?

France (au milieu)

ouch, is it then worth getting the ps/2 kit along with the blank USB cardridge and make the hardware solding and so on ?

the info i've had on the net about the pc keyboard did not mention all this mess, and actually prentended it worked rather find...
I kinda enjoyed the idea of a physical interface, being rather ''instrumentist'' than computer freak

is it worth the hassle ?

Playboy Man-Baby
Sesska wrote:

ouch, is it then worth getting the ps/2 kit along with the blank USB cardridge and make the hardware solding and so on ?

the info i've had on the net about the pc keyboard did not mention all this mess, and actually prentended it worked rather find...
I kinda enjoyed the idea of a physical interface, being rather ''instrumentist'' than computer freak

is it worth the hassle ?

I found one trick for using it is to just make the instrument you want to make and then clone it a ton, so that if the keyboard jumps to a different instrument (and it totally will), there will be no noticeable difference.

France (au milieu)

hi

thanks for your feed back and trick, I'll try to learn LSDJ first any way, keyboard fun will come much later (I got 2 spare din PC boards at home, so total investment is +/- 6$ for the ps/2 kit, nothing too terrible)