Having been using LSDJ for about a month now I wanted to ask how people layout their songs?

Personally I use pulse for bass and kick drum and then wave for melodies but I've also heard people using the Wave channel for bass notes and Kick drums.

I wanted to know if there was an major difference between these two methods and whether method may be better to use than the other?

J3wel

Los Angeles, CA

It's all a matter of using the right tool for the job.  The wave channel can get an octave lower than the pulse channel, so  your kicks and basses kickier and bassier, but the wave channel also has the most tonal variation possible, so it makes great melodies too.  I usually use sample drums, so my wave channel is taken up by that, with pulse bass and melodies.  Just experiment and have fun with it, you'll find something you like from every channel.

Mrwimmer wrote:

It's all a matter of using the right tool for the job.  The wave channel can get an octave lower than the pulse channel, so  your kicks and basses kickier and bassier, but the wave channel also has the most tonal variation possible, so it makes great melodies too.  I usually use sample drums, so my wave channel is taken up by that, with pulse bass and melodies.  Just experiment and have fun with it, you'll find something you like from every channel.

Yeah thats the approach I normally take as the effects you can apply to wave melodies are just huge, but I do see your point.

Cheers

No method is "better." Bit Shifter has tracks where the WAV channel is melody and somehow the Pulse basslines are juicy and sweet and sound low. Other artists, like IAYD, may use pulse for light kicks and some melodic riffs, then use the WAV for samples and sub-grinding basslines. Check out Andarugo and Hunterquinn if you want some unorthodox noisechannel useage.

Don't limit yourself. You can do anything in any channel, it's just a matter of how hard you are willing to work to make it happen. That is why LSDJ artists can get away with sounding so different while using very very similar hardware. Same goes for everything in chipmusic.

Montana

When I first started, I used Pulse 1 for Kicks and some Bass, and I almost always use the second pulse for my leads. The Wave used to be my go to guy with Basses but I mainly use it for Kicks and Snares..and BRKs, haha. But when I use Pulse 1 for my kicks, I usually double it with my bass notes. A thing I think I do to much it put a 4/4 dance kick and on the 3rd notes I'll put a bass progression. My music terminology isn't so great this morning.

England
thebitman wrote:

Don't limit yourself. You can do anything in any channel, it's just a matter of how hard you are willing to work to make it happen. That is why LSDJ artists can get away with sounding so different while using very very similar hardware.

4reals. you shouldn't limit yourself to anything, the channels on LSDJ are remarkably flexible.

my songs have snares made with a pulse channel mixed with some noise channel. noise kicks mixed up with pulse kicks. fuck it use the wav channel to make a high hat.

Thanks for the responses this really helps, nice to have some quality info

Madriz, Supain

I use the n00bist setup possible, PU1 for leads, PU2 for pulse kicks, WAV for bass, NOI for hihat and snares. Im so used to this I can even write the instruments by memory.

San Francisco
Jellica wrote:
thebitman wrote:

Don't limit yourself. You can do anything in any channel, it's just a matter of how hard you are willing to work to make it happen. That is why LSDJ artists can get away with sounding so different while using very very similar hardware.

4reals. you shouldn't limit yourself to anything, the channels on LSDJ are remarkably flexible.

my songs have snares made with a pulse channel mixed with some noise channel. noise kicks mixed up with pulse kicks. fuck it use the wav channel to make a high hat.

yeah even stack your channels to get even more diverse and complicated shit. that is the best if you want to get the most from lsdj. yolo lsdjing for sure braaah. a little pulse tom stacked with some noise and you suddenly got a thicker snare then just using one channel. a little burst of noise over a kick and suddenly it pops like crazy. a little blah bla bhal bhalbjalbjkb
you get the idea.

Seattle, WA

PU1 for bass

PU2 for bass

WAV for bass and kicks

noise for snares

https://soundcloud.com/possibly-a-fake- … pid-remake

Madriz, Supain
Dire Hit wrote:

PU1 for bass

PU2 for bass

WAV for bass and kicks

noise for snares

Actually you can put bass on NOI too, my mate.

Dire Hit wrote:

PU1 for bass

PU2 for bass

WAV for bass and kicks

noise for snares

All the bass

New Albany Indiana

Pulse one: Pulse kicks, melody, Bass.
Pulse Two: Melody, bass.
WAVE: Bass, melody, kits, KICKS, Voice.
Noi: Percussion

St. Charles, MO

Pulse for melodies and basslines, Wave for drums *cough*samples*cough*, Noise for nothing lol

Nottingham, UK

I like too layer a wave bass and a pulse channel to get more complex sounds. My organisation is generally terrible though.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Dec 15, 2013 1:57 pm)

Louisville Ky

Pulse: chains 10 - 2F, 50 - 5F
Wav 30- 3F, 60 - 6F,
Noi 40 - 4F

Typically how I organize