TX

I figure since I've got an NES flash cart now, I might as well check out what's going on in the ole homebrew scene. Are there any homebrew games for the NES that you'd recommend? The only one I've played is Alter Ego, which is a pretty good puzzle platformer.

Poland, Gdansk

The awesome ones that I know are Zooming Secretary, Streemerz and Battle Kid 2: Mountain of Torment

Super Bat Puncher, although it seems to have faded into vaporware.

Super Bat Puncher is the best NES homebrew, even though it's only a 2-stage demo. The full version is still being developed, contrary to popular belief.

Santa Cruz, California

Super Bat Puncher is now my new favorite thing!
That game looks crisp, with good controls, and has some of the best in-game music I've ever heard for the NES.
I hope it gets released in cart format, and gets some rad retro packaging.

TX

Looks good, though the meat puns are a bit much.

SLC, UT

Probably worth mentioning Mr. Gimmick. I mean that game is almost unknown and hands down the most impressive game ever developed.

Sweeeeeeden

Was Mr. Gimmick a homebrew game?

St. Charles, MO

No it's not homebrew. I'm pretty sure it wasn't released in america though. The Famicom version is the best because it has better music. It has another channel or something like that.

SLC, UT

Oh sorry I meant to specify that it wasn't a homebrew. But really the only way to play it is on a flash cart so I figured what the heck.

Neotoxin looked cool and has a pretty good soundtrack, but I couldn't get the rom to work in nestopia. Here's a link if you're interested:
http://neotoxin.moccamagic.com/latestnews.html

EDIT: Just played Super Bat Puncher, that game is flawless. Cave Story status for sure, I REALLY hope they finish this someday. Guess now I'll have something to look forward to for the next 10 years (Quest for Glory II VGA remake I'm looking at you!)

Last edited by stargazer (Dec 17, 2013 1:54 am)

London

oh man hadn't seen super bat puncher till now, but that game looks awesome

Czech Republic

Yes. I'm still waiting for Super Bat Puncher full game. Still hoping... It's a great game.

Seattle, WA

SBP update soon?? Maybe??

In the meanwhile there's pogo kitty adventure

Last edited by Flit (Feb 1, 2014 10:26 am)

South Korea

D-pad Hero I and II are a lot of fun if you're into rhythm games smile
Mario Adventure is technically a hack, but it plays like a whole new game, and it is fucking incredible.

Playboy Man-Baby
DeerPresident wrote:

D-pad Hero I and II are a lot of fun if you're into rhythm games smile
Mario Adventure is technically a hack, but it plays like a whole new game, and it is fucking incredible.

Have you seen the video previews of Mario Adventure 3? It's so elaborate, it barely qualifies as a hack anymore. The guy's added so many gameplay features. I think it's supposed to be released this year, actually.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Feb 1, 2014 3:14 pm)

Seattle, WA
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Mario Adventure 3

oh my gourd THANK YOU for alerting me about MA3. Mario Adventure was so damn satisfying, the perfect flavor of difficult.

And look at that! There's a Mario Adventure 3 demo out! Yeah!

Also I just remembered TRACK+FEEL II, which is fun if you have a powerpad and a flashcart

Last edited by Flit (Feb 8, 2014 10:54 am)