Czech Republic

Try piggy
and check this for free VST / DAWs
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

Powerghost wrote:

My favorites would have to be LSDJ and Famitracker
I've tried MilkyTracker a while ago but I couldn't figure it out but I do want to revisit it sometime soon heart

I want to try more trackers and just try some DAWs to see what I like and don't like but idk where to start
(Not a fan of FL studio, I've tried it a few times and decided it wasn't for my taste)

I  L O V E  Milky Tracker. I just got Renoise a few weeks ago, and it's light years beyond Milky, but I find myself making and editing samples inside of Renoise, and then using them to actually compose in Milky.

There's something about the simplicity of Milky that allows me to dig in and work on tracking and experimenting with effect commands. I really do enjoy using Renoise, but I don't feel like I'm really tracking with it, as I find it unnecessary to use the effects column most of the time. Renoise has many envelopes and built-in DSP effects which handle all the things that I would normally use the effects column for in a tracker.

Having said that, I have a lot of stuff written in Renoise that uses softsynths and large, chopped up samples, and I couldn't do anything like that with Milky unless I wanted a headache. I still prefer both Milky and Renoise to any standard DAW I've ever used.

Famitracker is great for what it does. Very easy to use. It's the first tracker I was able to fathom, and I've never deleted it from my computer even though I rarely use it anymore.

Deflemask is cool too, although I didn't enjoy using it. It's nice to have so many different chip emulations under one app, but there's just something about how it feels to work inside the pattern and instrument editors that puts me off. Much respect to it, though.

Sunvox is obviously very capable but I just couldn't gel with it. Same with Klystrack... and OpenMODPlug, and that one Sega Master System beeper-tracker, and a million other permanent-alpha project trackers that happen to be scattered about the internets.

GoatTracker induced a bout of vomiting, blurred vision, two hallucinations of my own death, followed shortly by my actual death, and then my resurrection with a note in my hand, which read: "You are not smart enough to use GoatTracker". Wish I could, though!

Last edited by Vaina Moinen (Dec 16, 2013 12:50 am)

Vaina Moinen wrote:

not smart enough to use GoatTracker

not with that attitude you arent!

sandneil wrote:
Vaina Moinen wrote:

Very true! I once thought I'd never learn how to use ANY tracker, and I definitely proved myself wrong there.

At the time I tried GoatTracker, I was still looking for chip-emulating trackers like Famitracker, and I was hoping for easy access to C64 sounds. Whew! I was completely overwhelmed by it, I don't think I even got it to make a sound at all. I only remember playing the sample songs that it comes with.

Anyway, I found my way to Milky Tracker and sample-based tracking, and that's served me well ever since. I certainly don't feel that I'm lacking for possibilities now with Renoise too; there are plenty of C64 VST's out there.

Maybe with more experience under my belt I could actually manage a few beeps out of GoatTracker should I ever try it again.

Arad, Romania
sandneil wrote:
Vaina Moinen wrote:

Haha. I tried GoatTracker too and I couldn't get into it. I think trackers are really cool but I haven't been able to learn to use any. Maybe I will try to learn that in the future.

I've been using FL Studio since 2008-2009. I think the first music program I stumbled upon was Renoise. I had no idea how to use it at the time (still don't) but that was probably one of the things that influenced me to be curious about making music. I had an older version of FL Studio after that, but I quickly forgot about it again until 2008 (when I really started to like chiptune and decided to start making my own).

I use Wasp XT, SimSynth, and other native FL plugins most of the time, but sometimes I use other free plugins as well.

Last edited by qb (Feb 28, 2014 12:30 am)

France (au milieu)

to me Reason (older versions than 3 at least) just popped up as the most intuitive, easy and versatile music making program... i've tried both FL and ableton live and never acheived to get more than 1 or 2 yacky loops running on these.

Can't wait to get confortable with LSDJ now smile

the Caustic app. on android looks very-very nice, though my device never allowded to run it...

MBR
Sesska wrote:

to me Reason (older versions than 3 at least) just popped up as the most intuitive, easy and versatile music making program...

So I'm not the only one! I loved Reason 3... but I just can't get used to 4+. Maybe I"ll just install 3 again...

Rhode Island

I have been using FL since 2001. Now most of my hardware is integrated with it (midiNES, arduinoboy, segaMDM, many many more things)

Finland

Ableton Live or GTFO

Bratislava, Slovakia

Aside of tracking on a Gameboy DMG-01 with LSDJ i am mostly playing live (synthesizers like Kurzweil) and i like to record in Sony Acid and edit things in SoundForge. Sometimes it takes up to one month to finetune things, but i like to learn it that way. I dont use MIDI recording or sequencing in DAW, only in a few cases where my hands cannot play it. smile Back in time (in 1998 i switched from Amiga to PC) i used mostly Cakewalk.

Last edited by martin_demsky (Dec 17, 2013 12:26 pm)

Dallas, Texas

When Writing: Ableton Live + Midines
When Converting to final format: TextMate + ppMCK

or just MSSIAH Sequencer when I'm feeling vicious

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Dec 17, 2013 1:03 pm)

chicago

Super-MRC 2.00

FastTracker II
GoatTracker
OrbTracker
4matTracker

Alive and well in fucksville

lsdj, Korg m-01, ds-10 plus,  nanoloop, onputer, nanovoice, electroplankton.

perth, WA

LSDJ
Acid Pro 2 or 3
ReBirth

i imagine Bitwig is going to be pretty dooope

Indiana

ableton!

oh, and sweet, wonderful soundflower (does that count?)