Arad, Romania
chunter wrote:

I blend everything I like...

I think this is the ideal way for me to make music because in my opinion that's where most of the innovative ideas\sounds come from, experimentation.

I don't mind if there are songs made on multiple platforms on the same album, for example Game Boy, C64, and NES, but if the mastering\mixing differs based on platform that might be a little off-putting. Though in all honesty I don't really care. It's up to the artist to decide what the theme(s) of the release should be.

Last edited by qb (Dec 17, 2013 11:08 pm)

Chicago IL
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

¿Can you imagine a rock band releasing a fuzz only record, then a muff only record, then a clean+phase only record, then a distortion record?

What the fuck are you talking about? You're not good at making valid, coherent points.

Madriz, Supain
Saskrotch wrote:

¿Can you imagine a rock band releasing a fuzz only record, then a muff only record, then a clean+phase only record, then a distortion record?

What the fuck are you talking about? You're not good at making valid, coherent points.

¿Since when are questions considered points?

I was talking if you can imagine buying a record and the inlay notes saying FUZZ ONLY!  Can you?

Brother Android wrote:

Value for money is a poor metric in these matters

"tehse matters" are selling a product. value for money isnt a poor metric

why not release any old thing that comes into your head?

yeah, why not?

Why not make all your songs 10 minutes longer than they need to be?

yeah, why not?

An artist who edits their own work ruthlessly may not produce a lot of material, but maybe the material is deeper and more enriching.

i would have thought "depth" as a concept was related to having a lot of something

Not to say there's anything wrong with being prolific and releasing a lot of stuff, but there's inevitably something lost there.

theres inevitably something lost when you dont release songs. namely ~the songs you dont release~. im not sure what you lose by releasing songs and then also releasing other songs

We all have limited time and ability, and there's a lot to be said (though it doesn't get said often these days) for using what you've been given to make something as good as possible rather than making as much of it as possible.

this topic is about "release formats" not about how many songs to write or how much of your time to dedicate to writing songs. in fact it gets said every day all the time by everyone that "quality > quantity" but thats not what this thread is about

NC in the US of America

Well said, sandneil. smile

@ ShinigamiMachine: I mean like... they don't even have to be the same genre or anything. There are so many creative (and uncreative) ways to keep things coherent and related.

Saskrotch wrote:

Hey I took this as just a humorous "what if..." comic relief question. It is not very relevant to what I think most people are thinking of this topic being about because, for example, the LSDJ equivalent would be "imagine an LSDJ releasing a VF5 only record, then a wav channel frame cycle speed 4 VFF only record, then a 402+Fine-tune=02-pulse-in-unison-with-the-other-pulse-channel only record, then a wav channel saw wave width modulation record" or something. But it was a funny question, and it was a thought provoking question according to some people in IRC. Not to be taken super super seriously as a super serious question I think.

It'd be kinda cool if somebody did do that as a concept and called it "jazz fission" or something tongue