FRANCE

OUT NOW!
http://www.alyjameslab.com
Super PSG is a bit perfect emulation of an SN76489 chip (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM VERSION) + Timer Interrupt routine modulation + the envelope part of the AY3-8910(MSX, SX SPECTRUM...)

It features band-limited waveforms to have a nice analog sound with no aliasing.
All you need to squeeze the hell of a square wave smile
Including Timer Modulation Tricks, High speed modulation (up to 300Hz), PCM sample import that can be played through the chip volume register which gives them a unique sound (PCM or PWM way) etc...
Some tracker like "tables" and a unique way of circuit bent the Noise channel! witch basically gives you the ability to reach some ATARI 2600 like metal noise or mess it up in a unique way, all of that in real-time.

Almost everything can be automated or MIDI learned.

Basically the main features of SPSG are:
SN76489 Sega Master System/ Genesis Version Emulation + some extended features (see timer modulation for example >> http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/12185 … 80-hblank/ )
in order to make some advanced sound out of the simple PSG.

• NO aliasing on the tone channels at high frequencies! (band-limited)

• Internal Sequencer/Tables for each global setting (envelope, pitch, arp, timers, lfsr...)

• Master clock crystal setting : NTSC, PAL, 1Mhz, 4Mhz or anything in between (can be modulated in real-time and stay in tune...)

• 1 to 64 Steps envelope for Amplitude and Pitch, with delay, clock speed, loop, ping-pong etc...

• 2 modes arpeggiator (programmable or MIDI controlled with some unique features)

• 8 memory slots per envelope, arp and advanced waveforms than can be internally sequenced at any available clock speed (can be used as a wave-table for software waveforms...)

• Z80 Timer Interrupt routine for Pulse Width emulation (SID) Sound or custom waveforms

• AY3-8910 emulated Envelope Generator! Buzzers, Sync Buzz... (not available on a SN76489 but nice to have smile )

• PWM & PCM sample import/play

• Each envelope clock master speed can be synchronized or independent

• Noise channel LFSR extended feature: tweak-able in real-time (tapped bit masks and feedback bit)

The output can be converted from MIDI into a .vgm file using the free tool M2v_PSG by Valley bell.

Can also work as a controller for a modified version of the Little Scale's open source SN76489 interface.
Should work with GENMDM too.
It is available on the same basis as FMDrive Vsti (YM2612 emulation).minimum donation of 10.00 €

Here is an audio test with the real SMS and Alex Kidd ^_^  + custom sounds in the end of the video...

Last edited by Aly James (Dec 20, 2013 3:43 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Look'n/sound'n good! Will it support both of LS's GenMDM and the SMSM midi interfaces? Please?!?!
Yogi

FRANCE

EDIT:
I will try the LS's SN76489 open source firmware and try to implement timer stuffs in the future hopefully smile

Done it works smile  I will take some time to perfect the hardware side anyway before releasing the Teensy code.
It should be the same for SMS & GenMDM interface hopefully.

Last edited by Aly James (Dec 2, 2013 1:36 am)

FRANCE

So basically Super PSG Vst is ready ! smile
I will need a few more days to make the manual (lot's of features in here) update the website and make the release news public.
++

.FILTHadelphia

Can't wait. Take my money!

FRANCE

Currently writing the manual...release in few days!

Last edited by Aly James (Dec 15, 2013 6:07 pm)

San Francisco

awwww yes.

FRANCE

The 50 pages manual is done and the website is almost ready to receive the baby.
Don't forget you got TIMER effects + a built-in AY3 8910 envelope generator emulation and some unique NOISE tweaks inside!

The manual itself is a good resource for any PSG fan smile grab it!
MANUAL DIRECT LINK >> http://www.alyjameslab.com/tutorials/SP … MANUAL.pdf
FAMILIARIZE! smile
you can start to lurk around at www.alyjameslab.com
I also plan to do a series of video tutorials next
the Paypal button will work DEC 17
So far it works great and should run on any DAW, It have been tested in CUBASE,ABLETON,FLSTUDIO,RENOISE and Standalone VST Host

Last edited by Aly James (Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm)

FRANCE

Updated, it's OUT NOW smile

FRANCE

If there is some interest in here ( seems strange that nobody is interested in the LFSR noise real-time bit modulation feature...)
I will demonstrate some hardware capabilities in video soon smile
if not I will probably make a successful thread about "what was your grandma doin' last week?" ...y'all understand smile smile smile

Unsubscribe

Consider me intersted!

Now that this is released are you still planning to make osx versions?

FRANCE

Yep, After I will complete my last scheduled project (Linn Lm-1 Drum Machine VST with direct EPROM binary loading features...) I will start to familiarize with OSX and try to port these (I never had a mac since ^-^) so it should be around summer 2014.

San Francisco
Aly James wrote:

Yep, After I will complete my last scheduled project (Linn Lm-1 Drum Machine VST with direct EPROM binary loading features...) I will start to familiarize with OSX and try to port these (I never had a mac since ^-^) so it should be around summer 2014.

YAYAYAYYAYAYAAYYY!!!! cant wait!!

kansas city

I know this is a topic we've already discussed, but will this be able to adjust the ADSR, functions on GENMDM? So far ive only been able to affect the expression/velocity commands. If your VST can do it, I'm sure to donate sooner then later.

FRANCE
DUNGEONMASTER wrote:

I know this is a topic we've already discussed, but will this be able to adjust the ADSR, functions on GENMDM? So far ive only been able to affect the expression/velocity commands. If your VST can do it, I'm sure to donate sooner then later.

Yeah, it works for ADSR smile
because SPSG sends volume data over MIDI and you can assign any CC# (CC#11 for GenMDM, CC#7 for Mid2VGM etc..)
SPSG also sends pitch envelope and arpeggio via MIDI Pitch bend Messages,
However pich envelope and arpeggio do not work with GenMDM because GenMDM rewrites velocity data over pitch change and doesn't handle pitchbend resolution sad
It works better with the SN76489 MIDI interface http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11015 … -usb-midi/ which I have modified the code to handle everything correctly smile (still improving this before releasing the source code...)

You can also play the data on the hardware by converting SPSG output to VGM then write a ROM file without needed GenMDM.

The MD filter also emulate the Megadrive / Genesis filtering accurately (it also emulate SMS and unfiltered output).
Here you can see an audio log of SPSG data with arpeggiator ON (same pitch, +1 oct, same pitch) and same thing with GenMDM arpeggiator OFF.

There is some nice stuff to implement and little stuff to correct on the GenMDM side, I hope Seb will continue the project at some point in the future...it has been a while since I heard anything from him about GenMDM.

I will also release some great infos about converting FMDrive YM2612 and SPSG PSG data to VGM soon! the tool is almost ready smile

FRANCE

And for the sake of previous post completeness here is a zip file with:
SPSG OUTPUT (MD Filter, SMS Filter)
GENMDM ADSR ONLY .WAV
GENMDM ADSR + PITCHBEND "BUG" .WAV
SPSG OUTPUT logged VGM .vgm
SPSG OUTPUT MD ROM .bin
http://www.alyjameslab.com/tutorials/PSG_GENMDM.zip