Taichung, Taiwan

I don't know if this was requested before, because I never searched, but any qualms about a product review section.

I'm sure it will be filled with 5-star reviews of kitsch and asm products, but there are a lot of users here that rock non-nintendo/chiptune gear that I think is ridiculously cool.

Reviews on mixers, synths, etc. would be pretty neat, at least for me at least. I would enjoy the reviews by the members of this forum. I'll believe you guys before the Amazon ratings.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Dec 24, 2013 2:32 am)

I think this is a great idea.  I often go looking at off the wall stuff with crazy ideas and often wonder if it would be useful for music.

There are already a bunch of threads that would fit in this section scattered around.  Having everything in one place where you can scroll through the reviews might help people make decisions on what to buy or try.

Taichung, Taiwan

There are so many members on this forum that own so much cool gear that I never knew existed.

A major benefit for me would be finding that someone had messed with some of the stuff I want to do (or would want to do if I knew about it). 

For example I bought an HP 100LX and plan on eventually using it for music.  I am thinking Monotone or something.  If someone had tried something like this before, then posted even a simple review, it would save me a lot of time knowing what not to do and what is worth trying.  A sticky review request thread would be cool too.

Last edited by rygD (Dec 24, 2013 3:16 am)

UK, Leicester

Threads for each specific items would be useful, although there could be arguments about how X is better than Y. Then again, that happens anyway.

The point of the review is to limit the discussion to that item.  Arguments can be saved for other threads.

Matthew Joseph Payne

This is a great idea! One thread per thing, and a string of reviews for each thing. Sounds way useful!

Taichung, Taiwan
Alpine wrote:

Threads for each specific items would be useful, although there could be arguments about how X is better than Y. Then again, that happens anyway.

It's not for argument over what's better than what.

It's a product review "thread" and not a comparative thread. If the user that reviews an item wants to compare it to another item in their review, they are free to do that. This is not a flame war, it's a review.

It's the personal experience a user had with item A or item B. It is opinion based. Some people have bad experiences with item A and some people have good experiences with item A.

Los Angeles, CA

I'm so for this.

UK, Leicester
katsumbhong wrote:
Alpine wrote:

It's a product review "thread" and not a comparative thread. If the user that reviews an item wants to compare it to another item in their review, they are free to do that. This is not a flame war, it's a review.

It's the personal experience a user had with item A or item B. It is opinion based. Some people have bad experiences with item A and some people have good experiences with item A.

I never said it was man, I'm just saying that there's a possibility that in a thread where a bunch of people are like "4/5 star product, really good" then someone comes along and goes "1/5, it was jank, don't buy" there could end up being a bit of a kerfuffle about who's review should be trusted or whatever.

I do think a review section was be a good idea, I'd certainly contribute.

England

behringer is shit. not sure why. some angry person on a forum said so.
beats by dre are funny. haha I like to laugh at fashion.
i really love my yamaha PSS-470.
when i play a triangle with the resonance right up on my ms20 mini there is some hiss noise so im going to go to a forum and moan about maybe returning my really lovely synth to korg.

i think there is already enough stupid noise guff on the internet about products. i hope that was helpful.

Los Angeles, CA

Of course there would be some BS, but it would be nice to get nice, in depth write-ups from people who's opinions on hardware we've come to trust.  I would love to see you rave about the MS-20 mini for a few paragraphs.  Can you imagine if even a small portion of the posts were like Lazerbeat's awesome dx11 write-up?

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7419/ … re-is-why/

Taichung, Taiwan
Alpine wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

I never said it was man, I'm just saying that there's a possibility that in a thread where a bunch of people are like "4/5 star product, really good" then someone comes along and goes "1/5, it was jank, don't buy" there could end up being a bit of a kerfuffle about who's review should be trusted or whatever.

I do think a review section was be a good idea, I'd certainly contribute.

What's the problem with two people having differing views on one product?

Pittsburgh

+1 on this idea!

Unsubscribe

All the evidence you need against it: engadget comment forums.

With a good moderation it could be cool though. Otherwise you can always post what you think in a products respective forum post/

Sweeeeeeden

This could be a good idea. Suggestion of the rules:

kineticturtle wrote:

This is a great idea! One thread per thing, and a string of reviews for each thing. Sounds way useful!

+keep it on-topic and keep discussion at a minimum. Ready to do this almost on the spot,