San Francisco

i'm looking at picking up a battery powered amp for a bit of busking.

the roland mobilecube (5 lbs. 9 oz.) is a hot contender, i like how easy it looks to carry around in my bike bag.

but loudness is the main factor so if anyone has battery amp experience // suggestions i'm all ears. i had a microcube (7 lbs. 5 oz.) back in the day and it wasn't too bad. but then they've got a rx version out (14 lbs. 2 oz.) which is tuned for BASS, all the better?

aaah, size easy. for when you can't just walk into guitar center:

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_compar … mobilecube

peASe!~

Geneva, NY

Smoky amp and a custom cabinet?

http://www.smokeyamps.com/

Might be a little on the dirty side, but I know how you roll... tongue

Tacoma WA

i have a micro cube.  its pretty nice and i found it cheap as hell on craigslist.

nice thing about the micro cubes is that you can replace the handle w/ a guitar strap and then they're really easy to carry around.

thing i don't like about the mobilecube is how its marketed as being in stereo.  yah it has two speakers for stereo but they're so close together that the stereo field looks to be pretty much non existant.  i'd rather get two micro cubes and set them apart if i was going to bother w/ stereo

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i want the cube street. Think that will be fun to have this summer..
then again i can always fall back on my main street PA. hahaha

San Francisco

low-gain that's awesome, i'll snap my ghettoblaster when i'm home smile it doesn't get enough outside use cause it's hard to carry on my bike/back.

infradead: true stereo on the mobile cube means that you hear the left and right channels, it's not an mono aux input. the microcube rx

street cube looks like the loudest option. but the more i think about it the more i'm leaning towards the mobilecube ... it's likely loud enough to catch people's attentions and certainly better than cupping your hands around a psp or iphone speaker. i'll try it out, if it sucks i'll take it back to guitar center and upgrade to whatever i can reasonably carry.

Geneva, NY

Um, I don't think I made a good enough case for the smoky... thru the magic of electrical engineering, those fuckers can power a speaker cabinet... LOUD.  I've seen/heard one hooked up to a Marshall half-stack and the fucker was kickin.  But again, mono and might totally distort... dunno!

Last edited by BLEO (Apr 14, 2010 8:15 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
starpause wrote:

low-gain that's awesome, i'll snap my ghettoblaster when i'm home smile it doesn't get enough outside use cause it's hard to carry on my bike/back.

infradead: true stereo on the mobile cube means that you hear the left and right channels, it's not an mono aux input. the microcube rx

street cube looks like the loudest option. but the more i think about it the more i'm leaning towards the mobilecube ... it's likely loud enough to catch people's attentions and certainly better than cupping your hands around a psp or iphone speaker. i'll try it out, if it sucks i'll take it back to guitar center and upgrade to whatever i can reasonably carry.

i agree with you 100%. simply comes down to your demands for transportation, loudness, power and budget. smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
bleo wrote:

Um, I don't think I made a good enough case for the smoky... thru the magic of electrical engineering, those fuckers can power a speaker cabinet... LOUD.  I've seen/heard one hooked up to a Marshall half-stack and the fucker was kickin.  But again, mono and might totally distort... dunno!

behold the power of impedance matching. Powers them. but doesn't drive them to their sweet spot. hehe.
But who really wants to carry around a 4x12 on the street w/ their little smokey. hahaha.

Just nab 2 pignose amps for stereo. hahaha

Geneva, NY

Well, in the starpause case, I bet there's a smallish speaker cab out there with the right impedance to suck the power from a smokey!

England
low-gain wrote:

I've got a Piggy! I've had it for years. Always good to have laying around.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
bleo wrote:

Well, in the starpause case, I bet there's a smallish speaker cab out there with the right impedance to suck the power from a smokey!

yeah totally.. gotta get those micro stack marshall's! :-D Hook up those to 2 smokies and you got your self a sweet little PA.
"Zakk not included"

or the really cheesy route:

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Yo starpause... i got what you need man!!!!

sorry, had to do it. :-D

Tucson, AZ

Nice timing -- I've just been considering buying a mobilecube myself.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Nullsleep wrote:

Nice timing -- I've just been considering buying a mobilecube myself.

my only issue i see w/ the mobile cube is that it looks like it's totally cheap plastic w/ computer speakers...
how much does that thing retail at? $160?  in comparison to the Cube Steet. I think the quality difference and the price difference justifies
getting the Cube Street.. Seems like it can take the abuse. specially if you gotta run from the cops. :-D

$160

VS.

$250

Round 1... FIGHT!

Sweeeeeeden
low-gain wrote:

Great for the down-and-dirty piggger,eh...

Geneva, NY

Yeah, I don't see Jordan rocking anything BUT the pignose now that you mention it.