Bucks County, PA

Hey guys,

I was playing around with a pocket a had worked on a while ago, and ran into this weird issue..  It seem like when I attempt to play anything in LSDJ the backlight goes dim?  (Check the gif below for a better idea of whats happening)

I tried the cart (which has always been buggy) on a DMG and couldn't replicate the problem..

Anyone else run into this? or anything similar?

Bucks County, PA

Probably worth mentioning the Game Boy has a ASM 4x backlight, as well as Pitchmod installed...

I seem to remember this exact topic being discussed and a fix explained in the last few weeks.  i think it is lsdj going into power save mode or something.  No time to look right now, but you can do a search.

Taichung, Taiwan

You have to let us know which flash cart you are using.

Cleveland, OH
thursdaycustoms wrote:

The issue is that your backlight is draining too much power. You need to add a resistor to the backlight to bring the brightness down and therefor draw less power. I have to do this with every Pocket that I backlight. I would recommend somewhere between 100ohms and 220ohms depending on the color of your backlight.
But as an experiment you can try desoldering the backlight altogether and try running LSDJ again. This will tell you without a doubt if your backlight is drawing too much power. I would recommend starting at 150ohms and then seeing which way you need to go from there.

Bucks County, PA

Ah, thank you guys!  I ran a quick search, but I guess i wasn't looking for the right things...  Thanks again!

EDIT: Yep, just tossed one in, and it worked like a charm!  I used a variable resistor so i could 'calibrate'.. Seemed like 113Ω was the magic number..

Last edited by DipSwitch (Dec 29, 2013 5:42 am)

Cleveland, OH

Very nice! Unfortunately it's an experiment every time. But at least it always works! Your batteries should last much longer now too.

Minneapolis

Heh, that's a cool way of getting around the problem. I've done lots of experiments with the Pocket, but in none of them did I attempt to just limit the current going to the backlight. Instead, I usually focused on trying to increase the current the Pocket could provide. The limiting factor in these things seems to be that normal alkaline AAA batteries just can't provide much current before the voltage "droops." My solution was a small lithium polymer battery mod.