sweden
Bit Shifter wrote:

Holy shit, amazing. Don't mean to overreach but "while you're at it" -- begging for SRAM read/write support for earlier 1.x versions of Nanoloop.

Forever this!

Parts Unkown

This looks amazing!! Would it be able to read EPROM carts and save it as a ROM by any chance?

BK

Such a good idea!! Flashers for blue EMS carts will definitely be a major step up- I have lots of old carts with out of date LSDJ versions and it'd also be great to switch out ROMs in those instead of buying new carts.
If this thing ends up being reasonably priced I am definitely getting one.

Columbus, Indiana

I can't wait for this to come out.

bringing back those blue carts this make me happy

HeavyW8bit wrote:

This looks amazing!! Would it be able to read EPROM carts and save it as a ROM by any chance?

Yes assuming they don't have proprietary bank switching. very uncommon however so probably not a worry

NYC

Yo nitro, you're freaken amazing man.  I wish I had skills like you.

Sweeeeeeden
Bit Shifter wrote:

Holy shit, amazing. Don't mean to overreach but "while you're at it" -- begging for SRAM read/write support for earlier 1.x versions of Nanoloop.

Yeah that's the plan. Bud Melvin sent me an old NL cartridge for that purpose, 1.2 or 1.3. (The yellow type.) Weren't you supposed to lend me one of the older cartridges, the version that Bud didn't send me, for experiments? My memory is hazy.

egr wrote:

When you say it can do nano one carts do you mean the a and b sections or the main ROM?

Either way this sounds great!

All the banks. Well technically not all the banks. Not the first bank, which is write protected and holds a permanent copy of Nanoloop which is used as a backup if the normal copy of NL is somehow deleted, so you cannot brick the cartridge. But yes, Nanoloop, ROM A and B and the save area will be readable/writeable.

12ianma wrote:
HeavyW8bit wrote:

Yes assuming they don't have proprietary bank switching. very uncommon however so probably not a worry

Actually... Given the Python library that come with the software, it would be easy to write your own script that dumps such a cartridge, by telling the flasher to write value x to address y and then dump memory area z. But yes, it can dump anything that behaves like a normal cartridge.
Custom mappers is common among pirate multicarts, but not EEPROM carts in my experience.

Thanks for keeping linux users in mind.

I got a NL 1.0 cart you could test smile

And, farfetched idea: could it also write eprom carts? I got a few weird ones smile

Sweeeeeeden
Timbob wrote:

Before possibly wasting your time/money, could you please look inside, take a photo of the board, and note what is written on the chips that are on there?

Timbob wrote:

And, farfetched idea: could it also write eprom carts? I got a few weird ones smile

Unfortunately, the short answer is no. EPROM chips typically require a high voltage (around 12V, compared to the 5V for that the GB is using.) to be present, and that has to be generated somehow. Aside from the practical difficulty of doing this (This might be done with an extra adapter board sitting between the flasher and the cart containing a voltage boost circuit for example.) it might be impossible to this programming in-place on the cartridge. For example, the programming pin may not be routed to the cartridge connector, or it may be shared with one of the other pins, and connected in parallel with the memory bank controller chip in such a way that the MBC would be destroyed.

nitro2k01 wrote:
Timbob wrote:

Before possibly wasting your time/money, could you please look inside, take a photo of the board, and note what is written on the chips that are on there?

Timbob wrote:

Unfortunately, the short answer is no. EPROM chips typically require a high voltage (around 12V, compared to the 5V for that the GB is using.) to be present, and that has to be generated somehow. Aside from the practical difficulty of doing this (This might be done with an extra adapter board sitting between the flasher and the cart containing a voltage boost circuit for example.) it might be impossible to this programming in-place on the cartridge. For example, the programming pin may not be routed to the cartridge connector, or it may be shared with one of the other pins, and connected in parallel with the memory bank controller chip in such a way that the MBC would be destroyed.

Sure! I made pics of it before for another flash cart thread:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/184845/#p184845

And shame about the eprom, but it was a wild idea that I didn't expect to work anyway wink

Brooklyn NY US
nitro2k01 wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

Yeah that's the plan. Bud Melvin sent me an old NL cartridge for that purpose, 1.2 or 1.3. (The yellow type.) Weren't you supposed to lend me one of the older cartridges, the version that Bud didn't send me, for experiments? My memory is hazy.

Amazing news. So glad this is part of the plan. I don't think you & I had made arrangements for a loaner cartridge, but I could also be misremembering. The versions I am most interested in being able to back up / restore are v1.1 (yellow cartridge) and v1.2 (grey battery-backed cartridge). If you've got a source for a yellow cartridge, that's almost certainly v1.1. I don't think I have any spare copies of 1.2 that I can relinquish, but if you're still in need of one of those, let me know and I can double check my Cartridge Mausoleum.

Boulder, CO

Neat. But what will I do with my 10 year old WinXP machine that I use solely for my Transferer II?

Unsubscribe

Media Center PC for all your VideoCDs?

herr_prof wrote:

Media Center PC for all your VideoCDs?

And don't forget that funny BonziBuddy.