King's Lynn, UK

If I'm adding a prosound to a GBP, not using the existing jack, as it's a 1/4 inch, do I still need to remove the em2 and em3 parts? I've put my prosound in and thought it should be working, but it's coming out incredibly quiet (I had to plug it into my guitar amp and turn it right the way up just to be able to hear it) but with a very noisy signal. At first I thought it was just bad soldering, but I've just tested it with a multimeter and everything seems fine.

Cheers

Taichung, Taiwan

You technically don't need to remove any of the resistors for the prosound mod. If you are not doing an internal prosound, you can just solder the wires straight to the posts next to the volume dial.

Taichung, Taiwan

Removing the resistors is only if you are doing an internal prosound mod.

King's Lynn, UK

Cheers, that's what I thought which is why I hadn't done it already. I jsut can't figure out why it has no volume to it.

Taichung, Taiwan

It comes out quiet because you are bypassing the on-board amplifier. The amplifier boosts the volume. When you have prosound you are bypassing it and it comes out "quiet." You will need to hook it up to a pre-amp, or something that acts as a pre-amp to fully utilize the prosound mod such as your computer, computer speakers, mixer, headphone amplifier, etc.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Jan 12, 2014 8:39 pm)

King's Lynn, UK

No I'm running it through an amp, it's still really quiet, but very noisy. Some of the noise cuts out if i touch certain things while it's playing, eg. if i touch the 1/4 cable on one of the metal parts, it is less noisy, or if i touch the side of the batteries, it cuts out a different bit of the noise. If i touch the connectors on the plug i'm using (they're sticking out of the back of the GB at the moment) it gets noisier. This makes me think it's something to do with grounding, but I could be way off.

Taichung, Taiwan

Post photos of all of your solder work.

Taichung, Taiwan

This sounds like it could just be a faulty solder job. I don't know you personally and haven't seen your electronic's work, so I'm taking a shot into the dark here.

King's Lynn, UK

Like I said originally, that was my initial guess too. I have checked the connections and they seem sound, which is why I'm looking for a possible alternative reason.