Italy
scannerboy wrote:

Really the shruthi-1 control board is just a microcontroler with a an lcd screen, midi, some buttons, pots and two connectors to the lower pcb. With the right firmware it could work similiar to the ambika control board where the cards are stand alone synths.

you probably are right about that... so you could use that to manage the MIDI and controls, and make a PCB that does all the sound. Actually the good thing is that the AVR would not have to generate any audio, since that would be done by the SID (or swinsid)

Btw. I think it's great that you are using SwinSIDs! Too many C64 get stripped of their SID chips for projects like the SammichSID, often fully working ones... and it's a pity.

Poland, Gdansk

The hardware wouldn't really differ that much from the board I'm using now on the sammichsid clone.

The only real problem is the firmware because I don't have that much experience in software development.

rumpelfilter wrote:

Btw. I think it's great that you are using SwinSIDs! Too many C64 get stripped of their SID chips for projects like the SammichSID, often fully working ones... and it's a pity.

Yeah, also real SIDs are quite fragile. I killed 2 myself ;/

Lowtoy wrote:

Thanks for the upload!! But I´m having a weird problem with sch.... I can only see power section! The rest of the circuit is missing. Using eagle 6.1, not sure if this is affecting....

sry, I've missed your post. I'll check that ;//

Last edited by scannerboy (Jan 15, 2014 12:56 pm)

Melbourne, AU

@scannerboy: Interesting project...

Is this compatible with the original sammichSID case?

Stuttgart, DE

@scannerboy: Surprised I didn't see that project earlier...

What firmware does this run on?

Melbourne, AU

@scammerboy: Is that knob a genuine Rean P401 soft-touch knob?

Stuttgart, DE

@scannerboy: Is this compatible with the original sammichSID case?

Melbourne, AU

@scannerboy: Does this use the same rocker switch as the C64, or some cheap looking toggle switch like the sammichSID clone made by that epic douchebag vintagestar in that wretched hive of scum and villainy (aka. Hong Kong).

Stuttgart, DE

@scannerboy: How was the feedback from the guys who designed the MIDIbox SID and the sammichSID on your clone?

Melbourne, AU

well, that escalated quickly...

Stuttgart, DE

...I mean, that really got outta hand fast.

Melbourne, AU

I mean, seriously... you get in a car accident and are in a coma for nine months and then another three months learning how to walk again and eat cereal without getting milk in your beard and you finally get enough fine motor skills to use a mouse and keyboard and then check up on CM.org and find out that when your little baby sammichSID doesn't get sold for a few months, some upstart polack comes and makes a clone of it, and a pretty piss-poor one at that.

Well, it seems I may have to fire up the sammichSID factory again in 2014 just to satisfy those couple dozen chiptune/hackers who didn't get one of the 600 or so that I've sold already...

Milwaukee, WI
Wilba wrote:

I mean, seriously... you get in a car accident and are in a coma for nine months and then another three months learning how to walk again and eat cereal

!!!

Italy

I mean, seriously... you get in a car accident and are in a coma for nine months and then another three months learning how to walk again and eat cereal without getting milk in your beard and you finally get enough fine motor skills to use a mouse and keyboard and then check up on CM.org and find out that when your little baby sammichSID doesn't get sold for a few months, some upstart polack comes and makes a clone of it, and a pretty piss-poor one at that.

Oh man really? that sucks! But great to read that you're back on your feet again!
I still have your original SammichSID, thought about selling it a couple of times (because I'm sorry but I don't get the interface), but then I've always kept it, because it's such a masterpiece of PCB/Case design. Was the only kit I've built where everything just fits together perfectly.
And yeah, I love the sound of it, so I still have it.

I was interested in this project because as I said, I think the interface would profit from some improvements... but since this was just a clone.

Anyway in scannerboy's defense, it's not like he did start to have your design turned into a Cinese mass-product and sold it for half the price of your unbuilt kit... he did just build a couple of clones and sold them, where's the problem?
I don't see the need to insult him.

Last edited by rumpelfilter (Jan 17, 2014 5:24 pm)

Unsubscribe

Fuck Wilba, hope all is getting better for you..

Poland, Gdansk
nILS wrote:

@scannerboy: How was the feedback from the guys who designed the MIDIbox SID and the sammichSID on your clone?

scannerboy wrote:

Hey, so after a quick talk with TK I can build max 10 units.

Hey I would suggest you to read the thread first before starting whining.

It's completly opensource and based on the MIDIbox platform. If you have anymore questions please send me a PM and stop acting like little kids ;/

EDIT: I guess the name of the thread isn't the best idea but I named it like that because I don't know if people here are aware of MIDIbox more than sammichsid but If you'll check the lower pcb I posted you'll see it's called appropriately MIDIbox SwinSID.

Last edited by scannerboy (Jan 17, 2014 5:20 pm)

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec

Who's acting like a kid now? Nils and Wilba are fucking legends when it comes to the design that you completely ripped off (not that you are not allowed) so show some fucking respect.

Wilba: Dude wtf, I'm so glad to hear you're ok, had no clue you were involved in an accident. My heart skipped a beat when herr_prof informed us on #HEXAWE. I really hope you're going to make a 100% recovery, we can't afford to lose you wink