Alive and well in fucksville

i have been using onputer.

Sweden

Protracker stores its note data as period values, i.e. the notes aren't necessarily strictly tuned to a table of pitches. One could probably just massage a protracker module into slightly different pitch conventions like just intonation, but it's going to be kind of hard to compose with a completely different set of pitches than those you'll end up hearing in after conversion.

sleepytimejesse wrote:

You can use detune commands in Fami, I think. Usually used for doubling a non-detuned lead for that chorusy mega man lead vibe but you could probably get something more in depth with the time put in.

seems like it would be easier to do this in the instrument but its still going to be a massive PITA and writing music shouldnt be a massive PITA...

boomlinde wrote:

Protracker stores its note data as period values, i.e. the notes aren't necessarily strictly tuned to a table of pitches. One could probably just massage a protracker module into slightly different pitch conventions like just intonation, but it's going to be kind of hard to compose with a completely different set of pitches than those you'll end up hearing in after conversion.

massage the tracker too?

Dallas, Texas
sleepytimejesse wrote:

You can use detune commands in Fami, I think. Usually used for doubling a non-detuned lead for that chorusy mega man lead vibe but you could probably get something more in depth with the time put in.

Or even better**, You can directly address the pitch register with MML (ppMCK) using

@n<value>,<length>

Or you can use the y command to write to any address you wish.

y <address>,<value>

**may not be better depending on who you ask tongue

EDIT: I almost forgot. Theres also the D command which is a simple detune used like this.

A D-1c D-2c D-3c D-4c D-5c D-6c 

This illustrates a downward slope in pitch starting from c and dropping 6 register values.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Jan 18, 2014 8:03 am)

Youngstown, OH
sandneil wrote:
sleepytimejesse wrote:

seems like it would be easier to do this in the instrument but its still going to be a massive PITA and writing music shouldnt be a massive PITA...

haha I mean one could argue we're already in PITA music making with using trackers/programming. Plus anything other than equal temperament is probably going to require more work across all mediums since typically in this day in age it involves manipulating equally tempered instruments/programs or inventing/programming your own instruments.

NC in the US of America

Man, this thread has turned into a treasure trove of useful information. Thanks everyone big_smile

sleepytimejesse wrote:
sandneil wrote:

haha I mean one could argue we're already in PITA music making with using trackers/programming. Plus anything other than equal temperament is probably going to require more work across all mediums since typically in this day in age it involves manipulating equally tempered instruments/programs or inventing/programming your own instruments.

PITA isnt black n white dude

theres a needle in your butt once and then theres a dagger in your butt every time you want to enter a note

West Yorks, UK

and not forgetting, using a waveform sample and shortening it will change the pitch. also change the wave though...

Bay Area

I just finished coding a very primitive, yet 6-channel polyphonic sequencer/performance tool for the Sega Genesis that takes advantage of the microtonal capabilities of the YM2612. I basically started out breadboarding Arduino projects with the YM2612 a while back and from there took a semi-recent and bare minimum crash course in 68000 assembly and the Genesis hardware to do this. I flashed it to my old Tototek flash cart and got it to work on my Model 1 but not on my Nomad unfortunately.