Poland, Gdansk

Do you even know who is the author of MIDIbox? How the project is licensed? How did I rip them off? There are millions of other MIDIbox SID projects! Also MB-6582 is still sold. And this guy calls me an upstart polack! FUCK THIS DUDE!

Last edited by scannerboy (Jan 17, 2014 5:47 pm)

Italy

Ehm.. before you start all to run to your torches and pitchforks, really I don't see why this has to become a fight.
I think Scannerboy and Wilba can discuss this out even without us standing in circles and inciting them.

Poland, Gdansk

As I wrote before. The owner of MIDIbox is Thorsten Klose. Not WIlba. I contacted TK and he was OK with me building 10 units. I built one.

Rumplefilter you write on the midibox forums, you should know who is the author of midibox ;/

rumpelfilter wrote:

really I don't see why this has to become a fight.
I think Scannerboy and Wilba can discuss this out even without us standing in circles and inciting them.

I guess this was their plan all along wink

Geneva, NY

OK, dudes. I understand there are some serious disagreements as to what is considered "fair use" here, but as a site admin, I have to chime in and remind everyone that there is NO fair use of slurs on this forum.

Wilba, I was absolutely floored to hear about your accident and am overjoyed that you're well down the road to recovery. I will be plugging in my sammichSID from your last batch this weekend and sending joyous SID sounds into the cosmos in your honor.

scannerboy, I personally think your project looks very cool. I hope everything works out between you guys and some sort of peace/agreement is made.

Poland, Gdansk

From my side of view you can close or delete the thread. I think that it's a good idea to leave the links to the schematics and stuff but I could also just post it on the MIDIbox forums

Geneva, NY

I don't really want to see this thread closed. This is can still be a healthy, productive discussion and definitely one this community could benefit from. I'm hoping we all learn a thing or two about intellectual property here. I mean, I'll admit that when I first saw the thread, it never crossed my mind that this project was inappropriate use of the sammich or midi box technology. Apparently wilba does and I would definitely like to hear more about why. And perhaps this will help others in the community think twice before starting a project that appropriates work others' work and the legality/legitimacy/morality of it.

Italy

Rumplefilter you write on the midibox forums, you should know who is the author of midibox ;/

yeah man of course I know that! but I think this here is a bit of a different matter. Wilba made the SammichSID not TK, though of course it's also based on the same MIDIbox SID project, and I guess he was a bit upset by the wording "SammichSID clone". I think that's it.
So it is something between you and him, but as I said, I think the whole matter is really an inexistent problem. You made 1 unit based on the MIDIbox SID design with TK's approval so no rippoff and no making money with other people's ideas, behind their backs! You did a totally legitimate thing. Just understand that somebody like Wilba can have (and rightfully) feelings about a project he's been developing and producing for years, that probably cost him a lot of time and sweat. Since you're a maker too you'll probably know what I'm talking about.

So now let's all get back to make some music and be friends ok? smile

edit:typos

Last edited by rumpelfilter (Jan 17, 2014 6:24 pm)

Poland, Gdansk

If you'll read the thread you'll see that I tried to be 100% transparent with the project. I provided the sources, contacted TK and swinkels. Tried to make everything right. I won't comment anymore about Wilbas superb mature reaction and name calling.

I already admitted that the thread name wasn't cool but the name on the pcb to my defense is "MIDIbox Swinsid"

Also guys remember about your arduinoboys and flashcarts/writers.

Last edited by scannerboy (Jan 17, 2014 10:57 pm)

Michigan
scannerboy wrote:

Also guys remember about your arduinoboys and flashcarts/writers.

Its always gotta be something, right?:P

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec

Scannerboy I was 100% ok with your project until you lashed out at famed midibox community members. I know very well who TK is and have been part of the midibox community since 2009 iirc.

While TK's platform design is free for non commercial use, the layout you use (sammich sid) is wilba's creation. that being said, I don't mind you offering lower cost alternatives and whatnot, but don't come here calling the original author of the design a "little kid" because that reflects poorly on you.

Last edited by XC3N (Jan 17, 2014 11:05 pm)

Boulder, CO
XC3N wrote:

While TK's platform design is free for non commercial use, the layout you use (sammich sid) is wilba's creation. that being said, I don't mind you offering lower cost alternatives and whatnot, but don't come here calling the original author of the design a "little kid" because that reflects poorly on you.

Also calling someone an upstart polack reflects poorly on them too (and as someone from Poland, fuck that shit). We all know Wilba's work but this is a cool alternative now that SIDs are getting harder to come by.

I'm all for the improvement of this project. Props, scannerboy.

Sweden

Does anyone have an idea of how to control the extra features of SwinSID? I read that you can crank extra resonance out of them and I wonder if this functionality is mapped to new registers or if you have to use a special firmware built for that purpose.

Last edited by boomlinde (Jan 18, 2014 1:06 am)

Melbourne, AU
scannerboy wrote:

Do you even know who is the author of MIDIbox? How the project is licensed? How did I rip them off? There are millions of other MIDIbox SID projects! Also MB-6582 is still sold. And this guy calls me an upstart polack! FUCK THIS DUDE!

LOL... yeah, fuck me indeed. I need a good fucking and my comeuppance is long overdue.

I've known the MIDIbox author (TK) a long time. I've hung out with him in Munich, twice. I gave him an MB-6582 (also my design, BTW). And a sammichSID. And a sammichFM. And he'll get a prototype of the next synth.

The licence of MIDIbox projects is a vague mishmash of open source but non-commercial. It's not entirely clear to me, and I've apparently adhered to the licence so far, so whatever... There are many implementations of a MIDIbox SID synth. However, sammichSID is my copyrighted design, and approved for sale in kits by TK. Are sammichSID PCBs open source? No. Are sammichSID PCB design files publicly available? No. Are sammichSID case design files available? If you ask me nicely, yes.

If you copy the sammichSID design for your own personal amusement and your own one-off creations, I don't give a fuck. Stick the logo on it too if you want, and I don't give a fuck. If you copy it and start selling it under the sammichSID name, then I start to give a fuck, and act like a little kid and troll the fuck out of you. I called you a polack. Sorry about that. I didn't think it was offensive. I must have got it mixed up with calling Canadians "canucks". You can call me a wog or dago or whatever insult is appropriate for a mongrel of Scottish, Welsh, Italian, Slovenian and miscellaneous Slav, and then we can call it even. Or both agree to stop acting like little kids.

Seriously, I'm usually a pretty nice guy IRL and online, and it gets boring. Sometimes it's nice to put on my arrogant asshole hat and take it out for a stroll.

The point: If you're going to copy something of mine and then call it a sammichSID, people may associate your project with my project; they may think (incorrectly) that it has my approval, or has the same parts, or same build quality; you are effectively trading on my reputation.... and then I may get a little shitty and start trolling for lulz and profit.

To the rest of you: I tried to make the excuse for my absence from the scene for a year sound so obviously fake that you would all have a laugh...
Thanks for the wishes of good health, though... :-)  2013 was just a real shit of a year in many ways, but it wasn't as bad as being in a coma.

NC in the US of America

We've had a few people come out with injuries and other health issues lately so it's not so unbelievable these days :-F

Melbourne, AU
SketchMan3 wrote:

We've had a few people come out with injuries and other health issues lately so it's not so unbelievable these days :-F

Damn, now my joke was in poor taste too... sorry about that.

Unsubscribe

Haha! Too rich..