happy new years 2k14 ok

i made this midi compiler
its like a programming language for midi files
and it uses the ~industry standard~ Tcl programming language so if you learn how to use it youll literally be more employable

http://8bitcollective.biz/$/software/mi … anual.html

idk theres a lot of stuff like supercollider and max but in the end i think they are really focused on synthesis andwe've had powerfull tools for synthesizing new sounds for ages

so this is just pure midi and its all about ---algorithmic composition--- aka computer aided composition or what not.

like in 10 lines you can make a program that plays every note on every instrumet...or whatever, you know its pretty hacker

i dont think its hard to use and its kind of unique in what it is i think although i didnt spend much time lookin

anyway i love hyping up my stuff and none of you are gonna care LOL but anyway happy new year have a great one :-)

xxx

Unsubscribe

Whoa! Interesting! Any plans to add sysex commands?

if you want them i can add them right now, only thing is i have no way to test them bcause i dont think i have any hardware that uses sysex, but i can give it a shot

Unsubscribe

Just asking in theory.. Have no practical need for them but the whole concept has my wheels turning!

sysex is now in!! no idea if it works though

UK

Pretty cool.

thanks =-))

added both kinds of aftertouch now too... ill probably never use this stuff but w/e, majority of the gm spec is in there now i think

FRANCE

yay! this is awesome smile
haven't tested it yet but does it loads midi files and perform operation based on the content?
for example I would need to take every midi notes in the midi file, analyze each note (0 -127) one by one.
Previously setting the PPQ to something like 960,
The goal is to write a square wave on the volume for every note, the square wave correspond to the note frequency + (some slight detuning)...

For every new note encountered I calculate the frequency in Hz to find the period and deduct the closer PPQ wait time
then for every note, while note on, I will add CC#7 (volume) 127, PPQ/2 wait time corresponding the period, 0 and so on until note off.

For a 440Hz note, this should adds 880 CC informations per second ( 440 times  value =127 and 440 times value =0).
Knowing that MIDI baud rate is 31250 and a MIDI CC is 3 bytes long + start and stop bit for every bytes,
this gives us 26 bits serially sent for every CCs and a max possibility of 1200 CCs per seconds (31250/26)
then to write a square waves on the volume CC a max frequency of 600 Hz (as their is 2 states per period and 2 MIDI CC messages are needed).
I think that baud rate limitation do not apply if you use MIDI internally in a DAW...

At 120 BPM a quarter note is equal to 2Hz, if PPQ is 960 this gives us 960 Hz max resolution for writing a square wave on the volume CC ((2Hz * 960)/2 states of the square wave).
If you slightly vary the CC modulation frequency from the actual note this will give you a kind of pulse width modulation especially if the sound source is a square wave too.
This is a technique I have used to make timer modulation on the Sega PSG square wave and the technique used for a long time on Atari ST (known as "SID" sound) because these chips had no pulse width control built in...
I have implemented this technique in my SPSG VST too.
Your program might do the job to convert any midi file or if it can't, as is, at least I can make a list of midi file per note that I can later import smile

looking forward to your answer.

Here are possible frequencies for BPM 120 and PPQ 1920.
BPM= 120
PPQ = 1920
(Square waves takes 2 PPQ waits per cycle)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
wait value (PPQ) >> frequency of modulation (Hz)
wait 1 PPQ = 960
wait 2 PPQ = 480
wait 3 PPQ = 320
wait 4 PPQ = 240
wait 5 PPQ = 192
wait 6 PPQ = 160
wait 7 PPQ = 137
wait 8 PPQ = 120
wait 9 PPQ = 107
wait 10 PPQ = 96
wait 11 PPQ = 87.3
wait 12 PPQ = 80
wait 13 PPQ = 73.8
wait 14 PPQ = 68.6
wait 15 PPQ = 64
wait 16 PPQ = 60
wait 17 PPQ = 56.5
wait 18 PPQ = 53.3
wait 19 PPQ = 50.5
wait 20 PPQ = 48
wait 21 PPQ = 45.7
wait 22 PPQ = 43.6
wait 23 PPQ = 41.7
wait 24 PPQ = 40
wait 25 PPQ = 38.4
wait 26 PPQ = 36.9
wait 27 PPQ = 35.6
wait 28 PPQ = 34.3
wait 29 PPQ = 33.1
wait 30 PPQ = 32
wait 31 PPQ = 31
wait 32 PPQ = 30
and so on...

Last edited by Aly James (Jan 18, 2014 12:40 pm)