Alive and well in fucksville

I am making a public spreadsheet with any musical scales. I may be wrong on a couple of them. please use this and add to it so as to educate everyone.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Please dont edit other peoples entries (after minor coz i asked for correction)

Last edited by bitjacker (Jan 1, 2016 2:48 am)

why are you using some wacky foreign set of note names from tousands of years ago

Those are solfege sounds to sing them in. If you have a melody in your head that you cant quite figure out, this will help you find it.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jan 20, 2014 6:23 pm)

dont feel obligated to keep my format in new entries.

I am doing it this way to show them laying on a piano keyboard in the key of c. The black and white columns are there  to show note names. The concept is that syllables are interchangable depending on which key the scale has its root note in. you could change the colors of the colomuns to reflect do starting in an alternate key. if you need notes of phrygian mode in c# all you gotta do is shift (change fill and text colors)colors 1 to the left

Last edited by bitjacker (Jan 22, 2014 4:18 pm)

I don't know how helpful this will be to many people... as someone with a decent musical background i was stumped for a bit.

The most useful ways of doing it would be to have a column for each semitone and then black in the ones when that note appears in the scale. Also how are you dealing with scales which differ in the direction you play them?

Dallas, Texas

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Jan 20, 2014 6:41 pm)

dc6v wrote:

I don't know how helpful this will be to many people... as someone with a decent musical background i was stumped for a bit.

The most useful ways of doing it would be to have a column for each semitone and then black in the ones when that note appears in the scale. Also how are you dealing with scales which differ in the direction you play them?

I am making ascending and descending (only 2 scales do that, right?). Your idea is another way to do it... make an entry your way after all of mine so i can see what you mean.
And thanks mr Barnes.

Also, i wanted to organize them a certian way so that i can group them when i practice them on the guitar and sing the syllable as i play.

bitjacker wrote:

I am making ascending and descending (only 2 scales do that, right?). Your idea is another way to do it... make an entry your way after all of mine so i can see what you mean.

put in a couple of methods, hopefully you can see how it might work well (or not work).

if thats your method ok!

UK, Leicester

I've had no formal musical training/teaching, but it shouldn't be to hard for people to get this, especially with the black rows that make it obvious that it's piano keys. If it wasn't for them, I'd be dead confused about the "Di/Ra" atc bits though, and as someone who's only aware of the "wacky foreign set of note names from tousands of years ago" from the song in the sound of music (despite never having seen it) I think it might not be to easy for some.

Slots with slashes have 2 syllables. the first is the syllable to sing out when ascending. the second syllable is sung when descending the scale.
Unless your in europe, then those would be different.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jan 5, 2016 3:32 pm)

bump

UK

This is bizarrely niche. If you've not had solfège training (which the majority of even formally trained musicians haven't) it's indecipherable. Especially as its implementation differs between countries and chromaticism hasn't been satisfactorily standardised.

If you wanted to make it pitch agnostic, use roman numerals, or just this:

TylerBarnes wrote:

The only thing stopping standardization is my ti= your si. si is g#. what is solfedge for g# in europe? im not really worried about straying from fixed do quite yet. I have been sorting the scales out in to groups by key that allows each the most possible natural notes. also, I think keys being groups would be awesome for memorization of many scales. I think i have figured out why the key of F# is the worst for singers. I dont know much about the roman numerals. Nashville numbering system is really cool, I just dont quite know it yet. I am not so sure I want this to be about making something that can be used as a system to transpose existing works. I want to hear an aspiring musician use the bebop minor scale as the focus of a melody. I need to finish what was started so long ago. music history planted a bug in my mind that is only screaming louder. Fixed do has influenced music. it should only be used for the first year of training someone in music, not all the way into college theory classes.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jan 1, 2016 5:48 pm)