Using a prosound gameboy with an external 1/8" inch jack is it possible to use a long cable attached to a small converter (making it 1/4") and plug it directly into a DI box or the equivalent to play live?

I was also wondering if it is possible to maintain the left and right outputs by only using one cable? As when I plug it into my amp at home it mutes certain L or R notes.

Any links/help would be great into pointing me towards gear I may need and also sharing your own set ups would be awesome!

J3wel

Arizona

You're plugging it into a mono amp or using a mono convertor jack. Thats why you're not hearing panning commands. Get a 1/8 to RCA cord and plug it into a mixer.

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited by Limitbreak (Jan 18, 2014 3:12 pm)

Limitbreak wrote:

You're plugging it into a mono amp or using a mono convertor jack. Thats why you're not hearing panning commands. Get a 1/8 to RCA cord and plug it into a mixer.

Awesome thanks! Was actually looking at RCA cables this morning so I'm glad to hear its worth a purchase!

Once plugging it into a mixer I would also need to get my hands on a RCA to 1/4" cable for the output right?

Antwerp, Belgium
J3wel wrote:
Limitbreak wrote:

Awesome thanks! Was actually looking at RCA cables this morning so I'm glad to hear its worth a purchase!

Once plugging it into a mixer I would also need to get my hands on a RCA to 1/4" cable for the output right?

It depends! If you have panning notes (and I'm assuming you do due to your first post) they will still be converted to mono if you have an RCA to jack adapter (i.e. your notes won't disappear but they won't pan because your signal is mono). Your best bet is to either use an RCA mixer or use 2 channels on the mixer (or 1 stereo channel, which is what I do).

Vegasdiamond wrote:
J3wel wrote:

It depends! If you have panning notes (and I'm assuming you do due to your first post) they will still be converted to mono if you have an RCA to jack adapter (i.e. your notes won't disappear but they won't pan because your signal is mono). Your best bet is to either use an RCA mixer or use 2 channels on the mixer (or 1 stereo channel, which is what I do).

Ok, thanks! So what setup (cables/mixer) do you use then for gigs and things and how do you physically plug each thing in where? I just really want to get out and do shows but have very little idea about the equipment i need!

I have some basic knowledge, but I'm trying to research and learn as I go.

Indiana

if you want to maintain your stereo signal you need to make sure every step of your signal chain is stereo. this includes using a a stereo DI box (or just two mono i guess). while you could convert to rca, i really don't see any reason to unless you want to use multiple adapters (each of which adds a little noise) or the tape input on your console.

i would recommend a cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP153-Cable … B000068O3C

it's pretty inexpensive, and if you have your own submix just send each of those to separate channels like vegas said, or just use a stereo DI, and send it straight to the house console. a stereo DI might be something to invest in, but any venue that is serious will likely have one on hand. that being said, i would strongly reconsider how worthwhile you feel hard pans are in a live environment.

i think there's a discussion about it somewhere in this thread: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/12403 … eo-issues/

good luck dude!

Last edited by Fudgers (Jan 19, 2014 9:53 am)

I don't use rca's and I pan fine bro, I plug my mixer into the di box, stereo sound isn't really crucial to be honest in live performance. Its better to play in mono because everyone in the audience will hear the same thing, instead of not hearing some of the set