Italy

I've tried and it doesn't work for me. Rez is 32K so it should fit in one of the ROM slots on the Nanoloop cart... but it doesn't work for me.
Maybe it's because I have tried to load the never mGB version on it which is 64K? But then, when you upload a ROM it should just overwrite the existing one.
Well anyway. I only get a blank screen.

Last edited by rumpelfilter (Jan 24, 2014 2:05 pm)

Italy

actually I found that it corrupts the ROM slots... tried to upload Rez on another slot (B), didn't work either, but now when I try to load mGB back onto it... it does the same as Rez... it doesn't work! crap...

reject of nintendoage

hmm it works on my nanoloop one cart...
are you sure it transfers correctly?

Last edited by shizcake (Jan 23, 2014 10:19 pm)

Italy

yeah weird, I tried to re-upload the nanoloop ROM and it got corrupted too. had to try a couple of times until it worked again. I'm wondering if my cable could be the problem...

Italy

After many tests I came to the conclusion that my cart or the MIDI adapter (but that seems less likely) must be faulty... can't explain the weird behaviour in any other way.
The main Nanoloop ROM uploads to the cart allright, but at the end the GB crashes (either with a blank screen or lots of glitches). Nanoloop then sometimes works, sometimes not.
If I upload any 32K ROM to any of the additional memory slots, the BG crashes at the end, instead of starting the uploaded program, and the program does not start if I choose A or B from the Nanloop start logo.
Will have to contact Oliver I guess...
Does this only happen to me?

Italy

I'll have to try a different link cable. Does anyboby know if the GB Pocket and the Color had the same connector?

Sweeeeeeden

GB Pocket and GBC are using the same connector. However, I've found that using a GBP/C style link cable doesn't give the most stable connection. It can easily move to the side and lose contact if you're not careful. I personally own a link cable which has both type of connector on each end, so I can connect a DMG to a GBC, or a use the DMG connector on one side to connect to the NL adapter, which is more stable.

Are you sure that you're connecting the cable the right way around to the NL adapter? (Ie, not upside down, or randomly each time.) Which OS are you using?

I might try to do a ROM for diagnosing the problem. Do you have another working flash cartridge as well?

Italy

thanks for the feedback. The cable I have is the same as you described. It has both connectors and I was using the old DMG-style one with the MIDI adapter. I was really careful about connecting the cable the right way, i.e. with the rounded parts to the bottom, as described in the manual.
I'm running OSX Lion. I was wondering might Wi-fi be interfering with the data transfer? It might be a cheap poorly shielded cable I got...

Italy

I was able to solve the problem. It wasn't the cable, it wasn't the adapter, nor was it the Nanoloop cart.
I think the problem is Mac OS or at least Lion.
I dug out an old Windows laptop and did the upload from there. Worked like a charm. Got Nanoloop back onto it + gBA and Shitwave.

Should anybody have problems like mine, try Windows!

Sweeeeeeden

Ah, that's why I asked. I've heard OSX can be unreliable for MIDI sysex. Possibly related, I found this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8148 … osx-broken

tl;dr MIDI commands can be timestamped, and this is not recommended for sysex messages. I wonder what the NL transfer application does. Perhaps I should contact Oliver about this and check...

Italy

That might be part of the problem indeed! I'm already in contact with Oliver because of this, this might be valuable information, thanks a lot!

Unsubscribe
nitro2k01 wrote:

Ah, that's why I asked. I've heard OSX can be unreliable for MIDI sysex. Possibly related, I found this:

Where have you heard this? I regulatory use sysex on osx fine with max4live and http://www.elektron.se/products_section … nager-osx, but would love to read more about it. I doubt its the os as much as the software tools not keeping pace with OS requirements.

Last edited by herr_prof (Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm)

Italy

whatever it is, there seems to be a problem between nlmidi and osx.
funny because my experience is that usually audio stuff has more issues with windows...