Warwickshire, UK

After a 20 year break from chipmusic, I'm happy to announce the release of Reawakening.

These are my first chiptunes since retiring from the 'scene' in 1993 to focus on composing music for video games. I decided in 2011 that the time was right to bring the name TDK out of retirement to create this album, utilising not only the tricks of the chiptune trade 20 years ago, but modern chiptune and music production techniques, whilst keeping in mind the channel restrictions of days gone by.

Reawakening was written using 2 Commodore 64's with the MSSIAH cartridge, a Commodore Amiga 1200, Elektron SIDStation, ReFX QuadraSID and Plogue Chipsounds.

Pay what you like - http://marktdkknight.bandcamp.com

Enjoy, and FLIT KILLS MOTHS smile

m

canada

this is amazing.

Warwickshire, UK

big_smile cheers!!!

Tokyo, Japan

I know this is a super necrobump but I recently discovered this and I think its absolutely brilliant. Easily in my top 3 of the year so far. Go check it out everyone!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Thanks for the bump LaszerBeats
@TDK Very glad you'r  'back'. The world needs more of  your sweet SID jams! Very nice, really enjoyed Cyber Speed Unleashed. liken @7, little hint of Mortal Combat flavor?
Yogi

Warwickshire, UK

Thanks for the bump.too Laserbeat. Really pleased that Reawakening has been Rediscovered (lol). I've been rather surprised by the lack of any interest and feedback on this forum considering the roots of the album. Guess most people here don't care any more, and as long as it's written on a Gameboy and sounds like everyone else, that's all cool. What a sorry state the chiptune scene has become. Of course, there will now be a few replies about how great the scene is and how I should be patient and let the music speak for itself, not be judgemental etc, but I've been lurking here too long that I can't miss the sorry teenagers who think they are all that plus more.

No Mortal Combat flavour with CS7. That track was originally an improvisation using a JX3P and Juno6 as I felt the game needed one more track..

FLIT KILLS MOTHS!

m

Gosford, Australia

i really liked it, but i didn't get around to posting in the thread on it's first passage.
and yeah this forum is kinda weird like that. but for the most part the "gameboy stuff that sounds like everyone else" gets similarly ignored (unless it's really really good tongue)

oh, but now i'm going over cyberspeed unleashed and it's nuts! those synth stabs and minor riffs (played on juno6?) on race 7 really do remind me of the mortal kombat movie though. super ship is my fave though, love that old gabba sound smile

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Hey TDK, lots of people here weren't alive 20+ years ago. For myself I was never in the demo scene. I still have the Atari800, but back when I still USED it, there wasn't an interwebbie, so I didn't even know what a demo or cracktro was wink Wasn't till '96ish that I got online.
  So don't be too harsh on folks, most are just overloaded with the volume of material OL and no clue 'bout old micro music. Don't hate me 'cause Im blond wink
@ CSUnleashed7 the riff in the middle just reminds me of the first bars of MCombat, (the back story is: when I was in the ARMY in 97, I was stuck for 2 weeks in the barraks outprocessing, One of my room mates had a VCD disk of the movie Mortal Combat. We didn't have a tv, so we watched it at least 40 times. The sound track is seared into my brain)
Anyway Thanks for putting the jams out again. Would love to see your midi fiddle, if you ever do a show in DC or Baltimore,
Yogi

Last edited by yogi (Aug 3, 2013 4:33 am)

California

Dunno about other people but I somehow totally missed this thread even though I downloaded and really enjoyed your album when you released it. Probably just blended in with all the other thread titles at the time or something.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
VCMG wrote:

Dunno about other people but I somehow totally missed this thread even though I downloaded and really enjoyed your album when you released it. Probably just blended in with all the other thread titles at the time or something.

Yea, ditto. I think Littlrscale's 2nd batch order for his GenMDM was heating up about that time frame, so all I could think about was 'Sega FM, must have Sega FM'
Yogi

Warwickshire, UK

Hehe, thanks for making me feel old Yogi!!! wink Yeah I know, I get a tad harsh sometimes  - that's the slightly less mature side of me *grin*

There was a piece on the BBC news a while ago, where they took a C64 in to a school, it was fascinating watching them try to figure out what the cassette recorder was.

As for the midi violin, I hope so but travel costs from the UK are a touch high wink

Victory Road - good call. The original track 7 was indeed a Juno6 - but not on the remix album as I sadly sold it years ago.

I'm waiting for my GenMDM too wink

m

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
TDK wrote:

There was a piece on the BBC news a while ago, where they took a C64 in to a school, it was fascinating watching them try to figure out what the cassette recorder was.

Think I saw the same piece on YTube, OH yes the joys of CLOAD

TDK wrote:

I'm waiting for my GenMDM too wink
m

smile)

TDK wrote:

Guess most people here don't care any more, and as long as it's written on a Gameboy and sounds like everyone else, that's all cool. What a sorry state the chiptune scene has become. Of course, there will now be a few replies about how great the scene is and how I should be patient and let the music speak for itself, not be judgemental etc, but I've been lurking here too long that I can't miss the sorry teenagers who think they are all that plus more.

FLIT KILLS MOTHS!

m

Nails it right to the wall.
Respect.

Warwickshire, UK

If anyone's interested, everything TDK on Bandcamp is now pay what you like again.

http://marktdkknight.bandcamp.com

Enjoy smile

m

Last edited by TDK (Jan 25, 2014 11:02 pm)

weird i missed this well im definitely checking it out now
i was listening to your old songs recently & they rule

that link should be http://marktdkknight.bandcamp.com/ btw ;-)