I am currently collaborating with a metalsmith to construct a nickel-plated DMG case fashioned loosely after a Colt 1911 handgun with wooden grips on the left of the front and back (yes, the d-pad would be wooden too) and .40 caliber casings for A and B buttons.  Additionally, we will be experimenting with engraving and may even try to work in a magazine release button that could move (but it wouldn't necessarily be functional--just for kicks). 

Currently, this is only a personal endeavor as I'd like to own a dedicated, unique GameBoy for use in composition and gigging.  However, should the final product turn out as planned, I may consider it a prototype and construct more (provided public interest ensues).  My friend and colleague, the metalsmith, has expressed an interest in continuing to work with me on future projects including metal-plated NES controllers and other such things.

Last edited by SpookGoblin (Jan 30, 2014 9:23 am)

This sounds awesome!! I will definitely sub for future updates!

J3wel wrote:

This sounds awesome!! I will definitely sub for future updates!

Awesome!  Thanks smile
I will ask him to take some in-progress photos if anyone is interested.
Otherwise, once it's done (which will probably happen in 3 - 5 weeks), I'll just take some photos of the finished piece.

IL, US

how do you plan to protect the circuit from shorts? just asking since i used to talk to a friend about his plans to get an aluminum shell made and it was one detail that had never been decided upon... maybe leave room for a super thin rubber or plastic coating on the inside?

edit: just saw that you said nickel-plated, not solid nickel.. suppose thatd do it

Last edited by e.s.c. (Jan 29, 2014 11:44 pm)

matt's mind

^ nylon

washers, inserts, and screws

e.s.c. wrote:

how do you plan to protect the circuit from shorts? just asking since i used to talk to a friend about his plans to get an aluminum shell made and it was one detail that had never been decided upon... maybe leave room for a super thin rubber or plastic coating on the inside?

edit: just saw that you said nickel-plated, not solid nickel.. suppose thatd do it

Yup it'll just be nickel riveted discretely to the plastic shell.

reject of nintendoage

wow, should look nice! Interisting mechanically for sure!
unfounately, guns are for assholes, so i'm actually no super hot for something i like being turned into a gun...

good luck though!

I have been wanting something along these lines for a while.  Same for the NES controller.

Magazine release could be used for something with the cart, but I can't exactly visualise what you are planning.

solid metal cases, as discussed by kitsch and e.s.c., would be exactly what I have been wanting.

Can we get a better thread title?

rygD wrote:

Can we get a better thread title?

Done and done smile

United States
SpookGoblin wrote:

Yup it'll just be nickel riveted discretely to the plastic shell.

but that's not what nickel plating is though

America

I was wondering about a metal case earlier, and about how you'd have to put a lot of planning into any mods you wanted because so many require holes in the case.  I'm also curious--wouldn't it screw up the sound from the speakers?  Granted, most chiptuners don't seem to ever use the speakers.

Boston

vacuum metalizing is probably a better option for the plastic case.

Boner wrote:

but that's not what nickel plating is though

Perhaps I should have said "sheathed in nickel?" I realize this is different than electroplating.

Chronoseptor wrote:

vacuum metalizing is probably a better option for the plastic case.

Electroforming would be easier, but I don't have the proper facilities to do so at my disposal. And in any case, this is less of a skin for the original shell and more of a redux. If I wanted the case to look exactly like the original but in metal, you're right--it would be better. But this endeavor blends the aesthetics of the original case with something else. There will be lots of cosmetic differences as well as multiples layers of metal.

Cool, someone else is doing it. I always wanted a metal DMG (after seeing a steampunk DMG, i think it was thretis?), and wanted to do this project, but hadn't the slightest where to start.

I wanted to do a Metal DMG with either Embossed or an Impression of the Nintendo Logo, Start, Select, along with "A" and "B" (with matching metal battery cover ). . .. Maybe metal Buttons and D - Pad, if it's functional without shortage,

And to find a metal smith that could do the case with this type of Treading.

With the ASM Silver or Chrome Front covers.
(http://asmretro.com/diy-gear/screen-cov … reen-cover)

mmm, The only thing I would have to had all the Holes and everything sketched out before the mold, because I would like it to have some modded features too. Backlight, prosound, power light, maybe more, but yeah. It's my to do list.

Let me know how you're Case is coming out, and if you're doing more. I think it's a good idea! :) maybe an additional coating to protect from sweaty hands?

Last edited by TGamer (Apr 5, 2014 6:14 am)

TGamer wrote:

Let me know how you're Case is coming out, and if you're doing more. I think it's a good idea! smile maybe an additional coating to protect from sweaty hands?

I haven't heard back from my metal smith on this project for quite some time.  I assume it's because he's busy, but it's just as well--I'm currently in a deep financial slump and can't afford to compensate him for his efforts.  I will definitely continue posting when I get some progress, but this project is on hold for the moment (regrettably).